cycling computers and Android solutions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tsddave

I have been trying out various Android phone apps. My finding is that they are great for using the gps functions and mapping my route but I find that they cannot replace a cycling computer due to the fact that the phone goes into a sleep mode after a time.
Anyone found an app that is forced to stay up?

I have an old polar cs100 but the speed sensor has never worked fully, so mainly I just use it on my mountain bike for heart rate.
I figure I need to buy a newcycling computer.

Ive noticed that boardman sell some cheap ones that would well do the job, anyone tried these that can let me how good they are?
I would need a wireless solution as I really cannot handle putting wires all down my new bike.

Naturally ive been looking at all the usual makes but really I dont want to spend more than about £80 and I will probably buy it on ebay to secure the best deal.

Any thoughts on good computers or the above would be appreciated!

rusky

CC Addict
Yup, you can't set the screen timeout to more than 30 mins.

Also, anything using GPS will kill the battery!

machew

Veteran
I have used "Map my ride". And it will still run when the phone is in sleep mode. At the moment I get about 1.5 hrs of life running it, any longer and I will use an external battery pack, disguised as a solar charger which will give it about 2-3 full charges

Shanks

Hi there, I wonder if this is a phone issue, what phone are you using? For reference I use an HTC Desire and Sportypal app. This links via Bluetooth to my HRM. All I need to do is start SportyPal, link the HRM, let it find the GPS and then press start. I then put it in standby, tuck it in my back pocket and let it run. The longest I've been out is for a shade under two hours and although it hit the battery quite hard it certainly didn't kill it. As machew said any longer and you can use a solar charger if you need it.

It does have an option to force keep the screen on, so I guess i could get a mount and just use the phone but I can see battery life becoming real issue then.

I also have a small Cateye Strada wireless on my bars so I can see all the info I need (speed, cadence, distance etc) while going along. I only need this as 'to hand' info, the phone app stores all the data for comparison and historical capture.

OP
OP
tsddave

tsddave

I want the Android software for mapping my route, time and speeds.

I actually found a solution that will keep apps you selected on for as long as the battery allows. I did a test and it works perfectly.
Its an app called "Screen on" works great not to be confused with the widget by the same name.

Top Bottom