Cycling decisions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'm just back from Crete and I am enjoying the cool damp atmosphere of Meanwood. It looks like the weather has not been that great here and the forecast isn't too bright for the next five days - perfect to get a couple of 100km Audaxes slotted in in the next few days :-)

I came back to a pile of mail which included some Audax entries, the quarterly Audax magazine and, potentially, the mapping for a mini tour - the Sustrans Lon Las Cymru pack of maps and guidebook.

I'm not expecting the route to be flat and I have little experience of Wales on a bike having only driven through the place on family camping holidays. I am undecided whether or not to attempt to do it all or to do just one half.

The questions:

In halves or in its entirety?

If in halves, which half?

Ride North to South or South to North?

Do the lot vernon. Your reports are so interesting it will mean I have more to read! (Pitiful reasoning #1) :ohmy:

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

ASC1951 said:
With the bike? I went there 20 years ago but tumbled off a climb and broke my ankle, so I didn't see much of the place and would like to see more.

Nope, the bikes stayed at home. I didn't bother hiring any of the bikes available at the local bike hire place because I decided to have a relaxing holiday with my family and I don't find cycling in the heat relaxing. Crete also looked rather lumpy in (most) places. I was luck that last year's summer, for some, was disappointingly cool when I cycled from the Channel to the Med.

I nearly didn't see Crete at all. I was turned away at the check in point at Leeds Bradford airport because my passport would have expired within three months of my return to the UK. I had a frantic couple of days getting a replacement passport from Glasgow and arranging an alternative flight from Manchester. Everyone but the check in staff at Leeds are incredulous that I wasn't allowed out of the country and I'm currently assembling a claim for compensation.

vernon said:
I came back to a pile of mail which included some Audax entries, the quarterly Audax magazine and, potentially, the mapping for a mini tour - the Sustrans Lon Las Cymru pack of maps and guidebook.

I'm not expecting the route to be flat and I have little experience of Wales on a bike having only driven through the place on family camping holidays. I am undecided whether or not to attempt to do it all or to do just one half.

The questions:

In halves or in its entirety?

If in halves, which half?

Ride North to South or South to North?

I'am new to these forum but 6 of us, mostly hardly, old, beer drinking, slightly over weight, last chance trendies, are doing north- south route this sept and back again.

We know quite well NCR 5 as we call it, and some of NCR 8 why not do what we are doing North -south and back again, its not that tough, if we get behind cause of punctures etc we just turn around and go back.

And forget all that official route stuff, look at the map & use the lanes, bridleways etc and camp rough on route its far more fun, its a great country, quiet hardly ever used & no one about.

Good planning, little local knowledge, couple of stops for beer and grub, travel light and fast, camp rough or in cheapo camp sites, or even on the beach:smile: decent fire, good company what more do you want:biggrin:.

Last year we got about 3/4 there, never meet a sole for 2 days, turned back cause of work commitments, this time s*( it.:biggrin::biggrin:

Mind you might never get to cardiff,:evil: so what enjoy it.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

37927 said:
I'am new to these forum but 6 of us, mostly hardly, old, beer drinking, slightly over weight, last chance trendies, are doing north- south route this sept and back again.

We know quite well NCR 5 as we call it, and some of NCR 8 why not do what we are doing North -south and back again, its not that tough, if we get behind cause of punctures etc we just turn around and go back.

And forget all that official route stuff, look at the map & use the lanes, bridleways etc and camp rough on route its far more fun, its a great country, quiet hardly ever used & no one about.

Good planning, little local knowledge, couple of stops for beer and grub, travel light and fast, camp rough or in cheapo camp sites, or even on the beach:smile: decent fire, good company what more do you want:biggrin:.

Last year we got about 3/4 there, never meet a sole for 2 days, turned back cause of work commitments, this time s*( it.:biggrin::biggrin:

Mind you might never get to cardiff,;) so what enjoy it.

Your suggestions resonate with my modus operandi

The only certainty that I have on most of my tours are the starts and sometimes, if the tours demand it e.g. LEJOG, the ends. The bits in the middle are totally random.

Mmmm suppose I'd better do a bit of planning and look at a railway timetable to get to Holyhead - whoaaa - I've made a decision - I'd better have a lie down :tongue:

Top Bottom