Cycling Embassy of Great Britain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

I take it you're not a fan of the CEoGB then Fatblokish? If you don't like what they stand for that doesn't cause me any issues but taking a couple of snaps out of context and questioning what is going on is just stretching things a bit IMHO. As far as I can see they could be using a shared cycleway/footpath in the first snap, which makes perfect sense being next to a DC, and in the second it appears they are entering some hatchings with a right turn coming up according the title. So what? Or is it the fact *shock* none of them are wearing helmets?

I'm not really sure what this post is aiming for but don't bicycle users of all types have enough of a bad deal in the UK without this cyclist v. cyclist sniping?

Just my t'uppeny worth anyway.

OP
OP
fatblokish

fatblokish

Guru
I'd never heard of CEoGB until this morning and some of its aims seem virtuous enough, although maybe others less so.

Anyhow, in the first photo they are riding on a pavement (no shared facilities there) although the traffic can only be described as light.

In the other photo, as you point out, they are again disregarding the HC. The right-hand turn is after the pedestrian lights meaning they will have to re-enter the traffic flow at a pinch point, or dismount (hopefully) to cross on the crossing.

Neither photo shows the sort of behaviour I'd encourage. Perhaps these ambassadors carry diplomatic plates rendering them immune from the rules of the HC? Helmets? no issue there IMO.

In my experience, the UK offers cyclists a good deal; the very reason for this ambassadorial excursion was to inspect the Two Tunnels project which ends a half-mile or so from my house.

I bow to your local knowledge. Not how I would cycle either but I still support their overall vision:

Primarily our aim is for well-designed and properly implemented dedicated bike infrastructure, to encourage everyone to ride. We want cycling to be the quickest, most direct way to get to our shops, workplaces and schools and for cycle routes to be integrated with longer-distance transport like trains and buses. This will mean freeing up space for both pedestrians and bikes, in our towns and along our major routes, opening up travel choices to the whole population not just the few. We believe that this will bring about nothing less than a transformation of our society.

Top Bottom