Cycling etiquette question....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bladderhead

I have COPD, so mostly they pass me. I have hardly any watts, and I do not push hard or sprint because I just blow up and it takes a long time to recover. I have learned to be wary of blowing up. Sometimes I find myself catching someone up. I stay close behind for long enough to decide if I can easily pass them. It still happens occasionally. If I am not absolutely sure, then I drop back a long way. The really annoying ones are those who are about 1 mph slower than me.

I pass people in style, like I am not making any effort. Because I am not.

yello

When cycling alone, what is the etiquette when approaching and closing down a fellow cyclist.

I don't know.

It's not something I've had to deal with before. :sad:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I don't drive but i expect the road sense is the same... overtake if safe to do so, hang back if not... no need to say hello, goodbye or anything.

But if I'm only going slightly faster than them, there's no point overtaking so I'll just ease off a bit

With a 20+ km/hr (12.5+ miles/hr) speed differential would you say that 10 cm (4 inches) counts as "nice and wide"...? :whistle:

No, I thought not... Well, I wish someone would tell the high speed 3-man chaingang that overtook me the other evening. I didn't hear them coming and suddenly, there they were, shooting past with the knuckles on their left hands almost rubbing the knuckles of my right hand! :cursing:

If I had made the slightest deviation from my line we'd have all gone down. About 10 seconds later I spotted a broken bottle in the road and pulled out by 40 cms! (I would always check over my shoulder when making big changes of direction but typically wouldn't for a movement as small as that.)
It’s that time of the year unfortunately.

I don't know if its cycling etiquette or not, but if I pass someone I always acknowledge them, I was doing about 17mph the other day and all of a sudden a young buck came flying past with not a word or any sort of acknowledgment, I found it strange.
It’s probable that he thought saying anything may be construed as ‘passive aggressive’ and played safe by keeping schtum.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Always ask if you're going to sit on and always greet as you pass, even if it's just "Morning!"

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The reason I ask is, I was out last night and pretty sure someone loomed up behind me (saw their shadow), they didn't go past though. Obviously I sped up but they never came past (I didn't keep looking over my shoulder), they eventually turned off without overtaking.
You sure it wasn't the grim reaper driving an Audi?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The really tricky thing when you pass someone is when, exactly, to say "morning"

Too soon and you scare the other cyclist out of their wits. Too late and they say it first and you, as the overtaker, has the obligation to speak first. I usually say it too soon and the other cyclist ends up jumping out of their skin

I don't believe that they could actually have thought it was a safe passing distance. The rider on the front probably had his head down and didn't see me until the last moment... Even so, there was no apology or even acknowledgement that I was there!
That’s clubbies for you.

Top Bottom