Cycling etiquette question....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
On the few occasions that I pass another cyclist, I always say " passing you on your right" for two reasons:
1. I am making sure the cyclist is aware I am about to overtake.
2. I don't want him/her to start moving to the right as I am passing.
Better safe than sorry.
It's how I deal with it.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
On the few occasions that I pass another cyclist, I always say " passing you on your right" for two reasons:
1. I am making sure the cyclist is aware I am about to overtake.
2. I don't want him/her to start moving to the right as I am passing.
Better safe than sorry.
I wish some of the guys around here would do that. They seem to get some kind of sick fun from coming up silently and whizzing past inches away. Hope it gives them a buzz passing a 60 year old female that’s only out for a bimble! Lol.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Always pays to make your presence known. Folks have been known to stop or to turn right or to make a U turn without any warning, in the mistaken belief that they are alone on the road.

I always feel guilty when I pass someone, I don`t know why I should but that is just me. I always give people a wide margin and will say Good Morning or whatever the time of day is. Of course people pass me as and as long as they don`t take the print off my cycle top then fine, better still if they speak. In my mind it is just good manners. Old fashioned perhaps, but we don`t get enough of it these days I am afraid.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I always give a cheery ‘good morning’, when I say always I mean always, even if it is the afternoon. It is because 95% of my non commute rides are in the early morning, so it is just habit.

If I am significantly faster than the person I am overtaking then I leave it at just the good morning and fly past. If I am more evenly matched I usually try and have a bit of a natter, mainly so I don’t feel rude.

OP
OP
bluezelos

bluezelos

My answer to that is in the last line of my original post. Must be my competetive streak! ;)

Fools! Everyone knows that the correct behaviour is to carefully work out their speed as you close in, and about 10 seconds before you'd pass them, sprint as hard as possible while keeping just enough air in your lungs to casually say "how's it going" as you freewheel past them, giving them plenty of space.

It is crucial to make it look like you're not even trying - the knack comes in being able to keep riding above their pace without blowing up 30 yards down the road.

Fools! Everyone knows that the correct behaviour is to carefully work out their speed as you close in, and about 10 seconds before you'd pass them, sprint as hard as possible while keeping just enough air in your lungs to casually say "how's it going" as you freewheel past them, giving them plenty of space.

It is crucial to make it look like you're not even trying - the knack comes in being able to keep riding above their pace without blowing up 30 yards down the road.

It’s a whole lot easier with power meters.

Top Bottom