Cycling etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mikey32shaw

Regular
Just a quick question after being out this weekend and see a awful lot of fellow cyclist was wanting to know if there is some sort of etiquette. When approaching other riders on the same side of the road can I tuck in behind or would they prefer me to pass? Also if some have just passed me when I'm having a slower moment but then want to increase my speed is me passing them back ok?

Velo711

Yes. When approaching, a nice "Good Day,can I tag along?"Or if you wish, pass them with a greeting. I'm sure they
won't mind a carrot dangling out front.

buggi

Bird Saviour
as said, just ride your bike, but if you plan to draft, ask first! otherwise you get known as a "leach". also the person might not be very experienced or, like me, just hate complete strangers sitting on my ass, particularly when they don't say anything. Perverts!

Also remember, by not announcing yourself you are putting yourself in direct danger of being snotted on (i once snotted and got the guy behind right in the chest! PMSL... he should have told me he was there!)

G3CWI

Veteran
Personally I stick a few bike lengths behind people and weigh up whether to do an overtake or not. I like a nice quiet free hub so that I can stay unnoticed. I bide my time and then go for it. But as I am working in France it's rather academic this week.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Personally I stick a few bike lengths behind people and weigh up whether to do an overtake or not. I like a nice quiet free hub so that I can stay unnoticed. I bide my time and then go for it. But as I am working in France it's rather academic this week.
Same here. If the speed of the cyclist in front makes it not worthwhile overtaking, I'll stay behind, but always at least 3-4 bike lengths behind, so they can't accuse me of wheelsucking. This doesn't work with all cyclists, though, as some can't maintain a regular speed

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I live right near a favored biking corridor. I just say " on your wheel" and take my turn at the front when the time comes. I have to look for slower groups of riders, though. But I can spot tricycles and training wheels with the best of them.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I find it very irritating when another cyclist sits on my wheel without taking a turn. It's a rare event but I do feel its very rude.

Always acknowledge fellow riders when overtaking or being overtaken and a nod or wave to guys coming towards you.

Top Bottom