cycling etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deanE

When cycling 2 a breast on a narrowish lane, and a vehicle is coming the other way, does the inner rider hold his position and the outsider take avoiding action, or should the inner rider drop back to allow the outsider to come in ahead?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Never really thought about it. One of us has either just moved forward or dropped back. It's an organic thing that just happens rather then over thinking it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Either the outside rider will accelerate and drop in front of the inside rider, or will slow and drop in behind. Usually telling the inside rider what you are about to do will help, especially if you intend to move in front of him/her as he/she can ease up a little.

I would tend to drop back for oncoming traffic and to move in front for traffic coming from the rear.

But yes, whichever is easier or is most natural.

I ride two-abreast in the lanes with friends or my children.

It makes sense to me that, as the outer rider is the one who has altered the position of his/her machine, it is he or she who should do the tucking in.

Whether this is to the front or the rear seems irrelevant. I just say "popping in front" or "dropping back".

I've been doing this for decades and have never really thought about it. It's never been an issue and has never caused confusion or consternation.

The etiquette, however many are two abreast, is the rider on the outside goes behind the rider to his left. That way no matter how many in the group everyone knows what is happening
Found that doesn't work well in Spain, peeses the driver off even more when you move even further out :whistle:

PK99

Legendary Member
If the outside rider moves forward and pulls in there is a risk of taking out the front wheel of the inside rider.
Safest is for the outside rider to drop back and pull in.

Ian193

Über Member
When I'm riding with my partner I always drop back and move in as its easier because if I went in front I'd leave her behind LOL. If we are turning right I always move to the middle of the road and then call to her to move over I feel this is the safest way to do it round here

Chris Norton

When out with the wife, I always am the one moving out to make it two abreast or tucking in behind in traffic whilst she maintains her position and tempo. I'm a far more confident rider with my bike skills and therefore it's only fair.
So it's tuck in the rear for me.

Svendo

Guru
If the outside rider moves forward and pulls in there is a risk of taking out the front wheel of the inside rider.
Safest is for the outside rider to drop back and pull in.

I do the same, and only for this reason. Absolutely not to avoid the wind, oh no.

Top Bottom