cycling etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If the outside rider moves forward and pulls in there is a risk of taking out the front wheel of the inside rider.
Safest is for the outside rider to drop back and pull in.

If you can't safely do this, you shouldn't be on the road, it is no different to taking over a slower moving cyclist!

PK99

Legendary Member
When out with the wife, I always am the one moving out to make it two abreast or tucking in behind in traffic whilst she maintains her position and tempo. I'm a far more confident rider with my bike skills and therefore it's only fair.
So it's tuck in the rear for me.

would you care to rephrase that?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Riding with my parents, my mother always had my father ride on the outside and fall back to let traffic pass, some sort of expected rule of etiquette. Same with I and my sisters, supposed to be a mark of civilization. In the States, it seems like even the runners take up the space two would anywhere else. People in general need fewer laws and more manners and breeding, from what I see on the local cycle path. Only applies to my own area. Hard to generalize about others, but seems pretty common everywhere.

Born2die

Not directly related but you come up to a line of stationary cars heavy commuting traffic etc do you filter through on the left or right never thought about it till yesterday riding along (must stop listening to the voices in my head )

Kies

Not directly related but you come up to a line of stationary cars heavy commuting traffic etc do you filter through on the left or right never thought about it till yesterday riding along (must stop listening to the voices in my head )

I weigh up each line of traffic individually, but most of the time i use the middle of the road in the same way motorbikes do. Stop in the ASL at the front and away, when the lights change, then hold primary position so the cars have to go around me to pass. I never like or let them sandwich me in by the kerb and the gutters.
If the lights change before i get to the front, then a courteous signal (there is always a car or two that doesn't set off as quickly as the rest, resulting in a natural gap), and i am back in my customary primary position.
If someone gives me way, they always get a thankyou wave.

Top Bottom