cycling farther - build up to it, or go for it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

tia maria

Thanks folks
I covered approx 22 miles on Saturday at a nice leisurely (but constant) pace, with a break for lunch at that deli I mentioned (yum).

It was fine - no hills too difficult (in fact a doodle compared to my daily route to work) and no real aches and pains - just that nice - i've done some excercise but not too much - feeling

I feel inspired to carry on bulding the miles - I am finding it so much pleasanter (real word?) than the gym. I think I am an outside gal at heart

I must get one of those bicycle computer thingys (technical term), drink holder and maybe some paniers? if i'm going to go further afield

At the moment I carry everything in a basket on the front so maybe a back rack too?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
tia maria said:
Thanks folks
I covered approx 22 miles on Saturday at a nice leisurely (but constant) pace, with a break for lunch at that deli I mentioned (yum).

It was fine - no hills too difficult (in fact a doodle compared to my daily route to work) and no real aches and pains - just that nice - i've done some excercise but not too much - feeling

I feel inspired to carry on bulding the miles - I am finding it so much pleasanter (real word?) than the gym. I think I am an outside gal at heart

I must get one of those bicycle computer thingys (technical term), drink holder and maybe some paniers? if i'm going to go further afield

At the moment I carry everything in a basket on the front so maybe a back rack too?

Firstly, well done!

Keep this in context, while panniers are great if you are touring, going out with a full picknick, commuting with a change of clothes, laptop etc, but they are excess weight and drag when they arent needed.

All you need is enough fluid to keep you going, 1 bottle should be fine (2 for long rides), you can top them up in a pub if need be! Water is free, buy a bag of nuts to keep the barman happy! For your repair kit, a saddlebag would be adequite. For any bars or gels, if you dont have a pocket on the back of your jersey, do as triathletes do, velcro or elestic wrap them to the top tube.

A computer would be good for tracking your miles, it will make you feel good when you notice your total miles covered growing!

jimboalee

Rob3rt said:
Firstly, well done!

Keep this in context, while panniers are great if you are touring, going out with a full picknick, commuting with a change of clothes, laptop etc, but they are excess weight and drag when they arent needed.

All you need is enough fluid to keep you going, 1 bottle should be fine (2 for long rides), you can top them up in a pub if need be! Water is free, buy a bag of nuts to keep the barman happy! For your repair kit, a saddlebag would be adequite. For any bars or gels, if you dont have a pocket on the back of your jersey, do as triathletes do, velcro or elestic wrap them to the top tube.

A computer would be good for tracking your miles, it will make you feel good when you notice your total miles covered growing!

Take an empty bottle.

You'd be surprised how much spare fluid you carry around. Your body will not start to get dehydrated until you've departed with nearly half a litre. In physiological terms, its nearly 1000 calories of combusted Carbohydrate, or should that be 'catabolised' carbohydrate?

An average cyclist will burn about 50 cals per mile, so a 20 mile trip will shift the 1000 calories and 500 cm3 of water.

Now this is your chance to lose 1/2 lb fat. Only replace 250 of those calories and the other 1750 will me synthesised off your adipose reserves in the next 48 hours.
Drink the water though.

Those of us who commute 20 miles per day, only eat 250 cals for the ride, and get rid of 1/2lb of excess blubber every trip.

StuartG

slower but further
I agree - there is a lot of nonsense about fluids. The body is quite robust and if you are not racing and the weather is not boiling - you don't need bottles! I cycle 50 miles without one. Yes I do stop for tea, cake and a pint but that is part of the enjoyment of the ride.

I run too - and am amazed that some people cannot manage an hour without a drink. I guess their need must come from all the extra effort of carrying heavy fluids (slowly transferring from the bottle to the bladder).

Try going without. Only carry fluids if you really need them. Don't let it become a habit. England is well served with tea rooms and cool weather. Enjoy both instead!

jimboalee

It tickles me that the gym I attend has a fridge full of energy drinks.

Do these people run there from home 25 miles away?

The Virgin Active gym ( I was once a member ) also has a fridge full of energy drinks. It has a cafe that sells latte, capu's and individually wrapped Biscotti, fruit cakes and flapjack cake.

I suppose they want their members to KEEP COMING BACK.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I drink water when I train, even if its only a 5k jog, I do it because I go out as soon as I wake, so I havent drank anything for 8-9 hours. So rather than gulp a load of water then go out with it sloshing in my stomach, I just sip as I run.

But if im to race (running) or put in some high effort cycling I dont bother, because even a little bit of water in my stomach just makes me feel sick.

But even if its not a neccessity to take water for absolute health reasons, not having a dry mouth is always a good thing, and I dont know about you, but the air blowing into my face gives me a dry mouth.

MLC

jimboalee said:
It tickles me that the gym I attend has a fridge full of energy drinks.

Do these people run there from home 25 miles away?

The Virgin Active gym ( I was once a member ) also has a fridge full of energy drinks. It has a cafe that sells latte, capu's and individually wrapped Biscotti, fruit cakes and flapjack cake.

I suppose they want their members to KEEP COMING BACK.

Jimboalee you must have the same sense of humour as me (please accept my condolences) when I used to attend a gym it made me laugh. There would be a certain type of person walking at 2mph on the treadmill all the time sipping away on high sugar/glucose energy drinks.

They would probably be better off sitting on the sofa, watching telly and drinking water and eating sensibly.

Don't get me wrong not having a dig at this particular type of person hats off to em trying to do something. The darker side is that marketing paints the picture that if you drink em you will be healthy and tends to ignore the fact that they are not really needed unless you are really pushing extremely hard

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Surely energy drinks are the 4x4s of the drinks world. Very useful and does the job very well, but not necessary for over 95% of the population, but that doesn't stop them wanting them anyway!

OP
OP
T

tia maria

Rob3rt said:
Firstly, well done!

This and other advice (don't know how to add more than 1 quote) are really helpfull - thanks folks

you have motavated me to take the longer route home (today)- its approx 7 miles longer. If that goes well (i'm not totally sure of the route throgh the lanes) then I may do that several times a week

Also knowing the calorie burned and fat metabolised will stop me snacking on high sugar 'stuff', nuts and seeds is my favourite after all ;)

jimboalee

Commercial energy drinks are the 'super unleaded' of the athletics world. Useful for those with a highly tuned engine and all the weight stripped off for performance, but not necessary for the person who has lesser tuning and enough in the tank already.

The nitromethane of the athletics world is the 'secret recipe' concoctions made up by team coaches to hand to the players just before or during an event.
Ordinary spectators never get to know what's in it.

I'm sure Tabasco sauce is in there somewhere. ;)

tia maria said:
you have motavated me to take the longer route home (today)- its approx 7 miles longer. If that goes well (i'm not totally sure of the route throgh the lanes) then I may do that several times a week

My kind of ride - I rather like making it up as I go :laugh: Have fun!

jimboalee

lukesdad said:
Wish I could burn 50 calories a mile Jimbo. Mine is more like 20.

Example.

25lb bike, 80 kg rider, 0.95 Cd. 20 C amb air t, No wind. Average 12.5 mph.

Tractive, 2.0 cals/min ( Based on 90% of distance cruising at 14 mph )
Windchill, 0.25 cals/min
Thermoconductivity of clothing, 4.0 cals/min
BMR, 1.25 cals/min
Sweat Vapourisation, 0.5 cals/min

= 8 cals/min

4.75 minutes/mile = 38.

Then there are HILLS ???? :smile:

BTW, 8 kCals/min was what Audax UK used to recommend. I argued it was more like 10.5 to 11.0 and the advise dissapeared from the Handbook.

zacklaws

Guru
jimboalee said:
I'm sure Tabasco sauce is in there somewhere. :smile:

I'm sure that a finger dipped in Tabasco sauce and applied in a delicate place would make anyone go like a rocket to the finish line, followed by a rapid departure to the shower. No wonder athletes don't hang around long giving interviews

jimboalee

zacklaws said:
I'm sure that a finger dipped in Tabasco sauce and applied in a delicate place would make anyone go like a rocket to the finish line, followed by a rapid departure to the shower. No wonder athletes don't hang around long giving interviews

The "HOT" new ?? diet craze is Capsicum Extract.

From what I read, the acids in chilli peppers stimulate the metabolism of fatty acids in the bloodstream.

I have been eating a madras every Friday since Christmas and lost 17 lb of fat weight.

Chicken of course, which is the protein after a Friday hard workout on the gym bike.

Top Bottom