Cycling glasses, the plus and draw backs of them

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
I've always worn cycling glasses up until recently. They stop the bugs getting into your eye's and the cold wind irritating them as well. As the weather's warmed up recently I've found them to be more of a hindrance though. Yes they still stop unwanted flies and dust, but I've noticed they can also cause problems. When cycling i always try to cycle to my physical limits to the point sweat pours off me. After around 20 miles the foam inserts of my helmet are saturated and the sweat runs out straight onto the back of my cycling glasses lenses. It gets that bad i have to stop to clean them up, usually with my cycling shirt. There then left hazy because even my shirt is not dry anymore. I've also noticed my eyes get very sore wearing glasses too. I think it's down to the heat and sweat not being able to evaporate away from my face quickly enough because of the glasses. The salt really does sting my eyes sometimes spoiling a good ride out. Riding without them though really helps. The breeze across my face quickly whips away unwanted beads of sweat and my eyes are not irritated. Maybe ive got the wrong style of glasses (who knows) and another pair may sort it out 👓🤔.
All the very best 👍

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why don't you simply wear a buff under your helmet? They are warm in winter and cool in summer because they soak up the sweat and help it to evaporate. Your helmet pads don't get soaked and smelly and sweat doesn't run into your eyes. Some cyclists wear a cycling cap under helmets but I find I have to raise my head to see under the peak and I get a sore neck.

I just rinse the buff out in the shower with some shower gel or shampoo and hang it up to dry.

You should never wipe optics with a shirt. The fabric is too coarse, the fine dust turns into sandpaper and your lenses get covered with micro scratches. These are too small to see in a casual glance but degrade the optical performance of lenses esp into the light.

Rinse the lenses in water and soap or detergent to wash off dust, sweat, tears and regrets. Pat dry with a clear cloth. Clean your microfiber cloth regularly. You can get anti misting sprays and all manner of cleaning solutions.

screenman

Legendary Member
Why don't you simply wear a buff under your helmet? They are warm in winter and cool in summer because they soak up the sweat and help it to evaporate. Your helmet pads don't get soaked and smelly and sweat doesn't run into your eyes. Some cyclists wear a cycling cap under helmets but I find I have to raise my head to see under the peak and I get a sore neck.

I just rinse the buff out in the shower with some shower gel or shampoo and hang it up to dry.

Buff or cap the wrong way around for me under the helmet.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
As above wear a buff or a dedicated head bandanna, i never ride without glasses after a stone hit some work safety glasses i was wearing for an early morning ride and it hit with such force it dug into the plastic (flicked up from a car Tyre) , if i was not wearing glasses it would not have been pretty.
1587492629014.png

One autumn ride I saw an acorn drop off an oak tree, bounce off the road and head directly towards my eye so quickly I couldn't react. It bounced off my glasses, hitting the middle. Bullseye!

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I've got a buff/cap but I've never used it. After reading all the fantastic advice here i will give it a try on tomorrow's ride. As ignorant as i am, i never really understood what the purpose of them where until now. Thank you all for your help and hope your all well 👍

Globalti

Legendary Member
There are several ways of wearing a buff, my preferred way is to hold it as a tube between you hands then pass each hand though inside it like a lady's hand muff and pull the ends in towards each other partly inverting into an 8 shape it so that it forms a knot. Then work the knot towards one end, tighten it and pull the bigger part of the 8 over your head so that the smaller part hangs down behind your head like a small tail.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

i cut the buff into 4 to make a sweat band this tme of year

There are several ways of wearing a buff, my preferred way is to hold it as a tube between you hands then pass each hand though inside it like a lady's hand muff and pull the ends in towards each other partly inverting into an 8 shape it so that it forms a knot. Then work the knot towards one end, tighten it and pull the bigger part of the 8 over your head so that the smaller part hangs down behind your head like a small tail.

that's my preferred method too :okay:

snorri

Legendary Member
I've got a buff/cap but I've never used it. After reading all the fantastic advice here i will give it a try on tomorrow's ride. As ignorant as i am, i never really understood what the purpose of them where until now. Thank you all for your help and hope your all well 👍
Haha^_^, I had the same thinking as you in regard to a buff that I received as a gift, it hung in my wardrobe for years until one day I decided to give it a try.
I don't think I have been out on the bike once in the last winter without the buff around my neck. It keeps my throat warm and the cold winds from getting down my front.
Re cleaning the specs. I buy a box of 'W54 Glasses Wipes' from Lidl, 54 in a box, and very handy for keeping the specs clean.

Top Bottom