Cycling gps computer.?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My Vdo cycling computer has just packed up after five years.
I contacted Vdo in germany about the problem and they said it was an electrical issue which couldn't be fixed so it is "Kaput":sad:
As i didn't want to pay a lot for a new one i was thinking of purchasing this https://www.decathlon.co.uk/bryton-rider-15-id_8587535.html but i now see that halfords are now selling the garmin Edge 130 at £99 which is quite a discount.
I am now thinking of getting the garmin but would like to know from anyone who has actually used any of these computers ?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Best say what features you want it for. Some ideas:

- In-ride feedback (current speed, ride distance)
- Recording rides for upload to a web service
- Displaying a map/track so you can navigate by eye
- Prompted navigation using routes downloaded to the device
- On-the fly navigation, letting the device figure out a route (never ends well)
- Connection to sensors (heart rate, cadence, power ...)
- Very long rides requiring the battery to last for ages
- Connection to phone enabling call alerts to appear
- Connection to phone enabling other features like automatic uploading, live tracking of your position ...
- etc ...

I've used a basic Garmin Edge computer, (Edge Touring, not the one mentioned above) and it worked OK and did stuff but tended to choke if I provided it with very big tracks to navigate. For the basic features - in ride stats and uploading (using a cable) it worked just fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Central Scrutinizer
Dogtrousers
The normal basic things eg time,distance,ride time,average speed.
Upload to strava.
Garmin does a basic breadcrumb route,bryton doesn't but i'm not bothered about that.
Both have an altometer but the bryant also has a gradient feature which the Vdo had and i liked that(Accuracy?)
I don't want a wired or wireless with a speed transmitter on the front fork and a magnet on the spoke.Iv'e just had one of those.
I suppose it all comes down to reliability

Tenkaykev

Guru
My wife upgraded from the edge touring to the edge touring plus.

It's been sitting in a drawer for a while, Happy to dig it out and give it the once over if you are interested?

Mark pallister

Dogtrousers
The normal basic things eg time,distance,ride time,average speed.
Upload to strava.
Garmin does a basic breadcrumb route,bryton doesn't but i'm not bothered about that.
Both have an altometer but the bryant also has a gradient feature which the Vdo had and i liked that(Accuracy?)
I don't want a wired or wireless with a speed transmitter on the front fork and a magnet on the spoke.Iv'e just had one of those.
I suppose it all comes down to reliability
I’ve got a edge 130 and having owned many garmin I think it’s one of the best
small ,very good screen ,v good battery life and excellent value for money
it will do all the normal stuff and connect to a power meter ,heart rate monitor,di2 ,and the varia radar
what more could you want for the price

Top Bottom