cycling has helped me continue running!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
As you get older the old legs start to rebel against running. I was fortunate 5 years ago to be made redundant and to start a new job which resulted in me commuting by bike each day. I now have 2 road bikes and use my cycling as a means to continue running. I still run but not as much and today was able to complete a half marathon in 1 hr 46 mins..for a 56 year old I think that is reasonably respectable....so to all you runners keep on cycling :smile:....it was a very hilly half marathon....

wanda2010

Guru
Reasonably respectable? The closest I did to that time I was in my late 30s!! Gotten slower every time since then. Chapeau sir.

MisterStan

Label Required
I started cycling again having damaged my knee last year doing a 10K practice run, i did a 'Sport Relief Mile' yesterday and was surprised to see how much my body ached this morning - i commute on the bike 3-4 days a week at 32.5 miles round trip - the good news seems to be that my knee was OK and i should be able to start running again!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I did a 1hr 46 1/2 marathon in October last year aged 40 (Great Birmingham Run), despite never having done any running before. Trained up for it from June onwards, and think I should have done better.

I agree - get yourself cardio-fit cycling, and add a bit of running to get those lower leg muscles in shape.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
An interesting point Runner. I was a long distance runner,many moons ago and loved the training in all weathers. I am 54 now and the road running , motorbikes accidents and general age mean I cannot train like I used to.

About a month ago I came across something called the Kickbike, and I ordered one immediately. What a revalation. It is not running and it is not cycling, but it as near to the two as you will get. It is more aerobic than cycling but does not pound your legs like running on the roads do.

I went to a motorway opening yesterday, where bikes were allowed to ride before the motorway was officially opened. There were hundreds of all types of bikes but I was the only "Kicker". I Kicked 48km. A road bike on a totally flat surface would have been far too easy. A lovely day for a kick out and an excellent event.

P1060230.jpg

Steve

Attachments

• P1060230.jpg
    P1060230.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 26

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
An interesting point Runner. I was a long distance runner,many moons ago and loved the training in all weathers. I am 54 now and the road running , motorbikes accidents and general age mean I cannot train like I used to.

About a month ago I came across something called the Kickbike, and I ordered one immediately. What a revalation. It is not running and it is not cycling, but it as near to the two as you will get. It is more aerobic than cycling but does not pound your legs like running on the roads do.

I went to a motorway opening yesterday, where bikes were allowed to ride before the motorway was officially opened. There were hundreds of all types of bikes but I was the only "Kicker". I Kicked 48km. A road bike on a totally flat surface would have been far too easy. A lovely day for a kick out and an excellent event.

P1060230.jpg

Steve

Can you reach that water bottle whilst riding/kicking?

Attachments

• P1060230.jpg
    P1060230.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
the kickbike looks like the old fashioned scooter I used to use as a kid...
Children-Kids-Scooter-AS001-.jpg

Attachments

• Children-Kids-Scooter-AS001-.jpg
    Children-Kids-Scooter-AS001-.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 35

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Can I reach the waterbottle while riding?

Not just yet but in time :rolleyes:

This is nothing like your kiddie scooter Runner. A guy from Finland did PBP in 84 hours on one of these this year. The following day he flew to the USA and rode it across country, a few have done that.

It is getting more and more popular on mainland Europe. Brilliant for cross training. My road bike flies now.

Steve

Top Bottom