Cycling, hobby, transport or dangerous thing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

corshamjim

I actually account for my transport cycling and hobby cycling separately. The transport cycling comes out of the general household expenses fund but the hobby cycling I have to pay for from my 'pocket money' :biggrin:

danphoto

Mode of transport here (even more so later this year when we give up the motor car), a way of keeping fit and a form of recreation.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
deff dangerouse !!! my wife grounded me and made me give up parragliding after 20 years with no incidents (worth mentioning) so i took up cycling! knocked of twice the first week, and i have a calouse developing on my right elbow from wingmirrors!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A mode of transport originally that turned into a major hobby for me.
I'm happy as I am doing something I really enjoy and getting fit and healthy at the same time.
Mrs Ian enjoys me doing my hobby as it's keeping me fit and healthy and keeping me out of pubs, football and trouble.

dand_uk

So back to the OP:

Cycling is a very safe activity. Safer than walking, horse riding, being at home, and probably safer than travelling in a 4x4 vehicle. There are plenty of statistics to back that up.

Impatient idiots in cars make cycling more dangerous than it should be as they are so desperate to get to the back of the next queue that they'll come within centimeters of knocking you off and beep at the same time to make you wobble into them

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's also a Sport !

Hobby and Sport is how I started.

Transport for keeping fit !

For me, re-discovery of cycling after lots of years away was initially just for transport, just as a way of getting about whilst on hols without having to keep taking the camper van to go shopping etc.

But then it turned in to a hobby, 'cos I started buying proper gear and upgraded to a new bike. And joined this cycling forum to read and learn more about all the facets of cycling. Also a place where I have been able to ask lots of daft newbie questions and get helpful advice. Thanks folks for all your help.

For me, I try not to make cycling a dangerous thing. I suppose it comes with some inherent risk, but so does crossing the road or making a cup of tea, but I try to cycle safely and have to hope that other road users and pedestrians show the same respect to me as I do to them.

Top Bottom