Cycling holiday SOUTHERN Majorca anyone?,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have just enjoyed ny first ever pure cycling holiday. Based in Peurto Pollenca. Thanks to all CCrs that offered suggestions.
A great experience all round.
As I have a good, understanding wife, I am now planning my next cycling holiday ^_^.
No problems with Pollensa but wondering what the south is like eg Cabo Blanco or Cala Pi.
As a guide..... I am not into BIG climbs (Cap Formentor is my limit). I want 40ish miles per day, mainly leisurely rides.

Reactions: GM

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
I`ve done a couple of cycle holidays to Majorca. First time I stayed in Puerto Pollensa, the second time I moved a little further south and stayed in Can Picafort - that meant I could head further south than I did the first time and it`s relatively flat.

And to be honest, if you can do Cap de Fermentor, you can do any other climb on Majorca.

Worth bearing in mind that the Mallorca Bike Shuttle drop you off at the top od Sa Calobra so "all" you have to do is whizz down and then climb back up to the top! You do have to make your own way back to your accommodation tho

Domus

Guru
Stayed in Ca'n Pastilla twice now and booked for May 2020. Like you not into really hard climbs but enjoy 50 - 80 Kms with a nice coffee stop.
Lots of places to ride, Cala Pi, Randa, Santauri de Cura, Soller, best cafe we found was Cas Busso. Just have a look on Google Maps.
Can't wait to go back.👍

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I`ve done a couple of cycle holidays to Majorca. First time I stayed in Puerto Pollensa, the second time I moved a little further south and stayed in Can Picafort - that meant I could head further south than I did the first time and it`s relatively flat.

And to be honest, if you can do Cap de Fermentor, you can do any other climb on Majorca.

Worth bearing in mind that the Mallorca Bike Shuttle drop you off at the top od Sa Calobra so "all" you have to do is whizz down and then climb back up to the top! You do have to make your own way back to your accommodation tho
Thanks.
We cycled Puerto Pollensa to Can Picafort......once we left Alcudia it was such a boring route. We were amazed at the number and SIZE of the bike hire places there.
And you could get coffee and cake for €3.25 ^_^.
We met a group that go there every year as there are more route options ie north, east or west.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You could just ride down Sa Calobra then get the boat back to Port Soller.
I was a man. I cycled down Sa Colabra and then back up it.

Just before getting to the top I saw one smart git coming down it on a skateboard 👀

I agree that if you can ride Formentor you can ride anywhere on Majorca. By the way. The trains are great for bikes.

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
Thanks.
We cycled Puerto Pollensa to Can Picafort......once we left Alcudia it was such a boring route. We were amazed at the number and SIZE of the bike hire places there.
And you could get coffee and cake for €3.25 ^_^.
We met a group that go there every year as there are more route options ie north, east or west.

Yeah, there`s not much between Alcudia and Can Picafort, pretty much a straight line through the resort. However, it you head east after Can Picafort, there`s a lovely smooth ride to the coast, not too many hills. I also loved cycling round Sa Pobla

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Yeah, there`s not much between Alcudia and Can Picafort, pretty much a straight line through the resort. However, it you head east after Can Picafort, there`s a lovely smooth ride to the coast, not too many hills. I also loved cycling round Sa Pobla
You are giving me withdrawl symptoms ^_^.
I am looking at the map as I type.
When you say "ride to the coast" do you mean Cala Ratjada via Arta or one of the small roads?

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
You are giving me withdrawl symptoms ^_^.
I am looking at the map as I type.
When you say "ride to the coast" do you mean Cala Ratjada via Arta or one of the small roads?

Sorry yes, there`s a lovely ride from Can Picafort through Arta to Cala Ratjada mostly along the M12 although it`s not a really bust road. I then came back through the country roads but did get a bit lost at one point.

I did do a biggish ride (84 miles) to San Salvador and it was all pretty flat until the 6km climb up to the monastery (but you dont have to do that lol)

I`m looking to go back next year too.

I came back from Puerto Pollensa two weeks ago after a great holiday.

It was a family holiday so I didn't ride a bike at all and travelled by local bus everywhere.

Hoping to go back next spring and will probably get a bike for a few days. I'll need to smarten up my kit though looking at the way the cycle tourists dress. I fancy trying a Pinarello from their large shop. My cousin has an apartment just round the corner from Tollo's that she says I can use if I want when they aren't there.

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
I came back from Puerto Pollensa two weeks ago after a great holiday.

It was a family holiday so I didn't ride a bike at all and travelled by local bus everywhere.

Hoping to go back next spring and will probably get a bike for a few days. I'll need to smarten up my kit though looking at the way the cycle tourists dress. I fancy trying a Pinarello from their large shop. My cousin has an apartment just round the corner from Tollo's that she says I can use if I want when they aren't there.

I used Pinarello when I was they but have to say I was disappointed in the bike, I needed to take it back to the shop twice as the gears kept skipping

I used Pinarello when I was they but have to say I was disappointed in the bike, I needed to take it back to the shop twice as the gears kept skipping

Ultegra?

Was there a fault with the gears or was it just poor preparation? Did they fix it?

They all appear so busy in the late and early summer that I can see them cutting corners to turn bikes around for hire.

Top Bottom