Cycling in 1955

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
..I remember it well:laugh:....I was the one who went off on his own:bicycle:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It's entirely possible that my Grandfather was driving that train, he was a train driver on the London to Rugby route at that time until 1965.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oh, is it time for that CTC film again!

(It seems to get posted on CC a couple of times a year ... :thumbsup:)

The cyclists had come up to the Midlands for the day and were tootling around the area that I come from. (It was about when I was born too. Boy, that makes me feel old!)

Adam G

Regular
That was brilliant.

There would be a fork tuning session on the rain now with people studying strava and garmin apps and trying to figure which device is out by one second on the same run.

postman

Legendary Member
Shirt and tie,i don't believe it.

tyred

Legendary Member
It's interesting as I have a number of old cycle manuals and touring guides I've picked up in second hand bookshops from the 1920s - 1960s, they give great discussion on what you should be looking for in a suit for cycling and debating the merits of a waistcoat and also how to choose an overcoat for winter cycling.

I realise this was aimed at commuter types rather than racer wannabes but I still have no idea how people rode in such heavy clothing without being soaked in sweat. I know I couldn't do it as I've tried on VCC rides.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's interesting as I have a number of old cycle manuals and touring guides I've picked up in second hand bookshops from the 1920s - 1960s, they give great discussion on what you should be looking for in a suit for cycling and debating the merits of a waistcoat and also how to choose an overcoat for winter cycling.

I realise this was aimed at commuter types rather than racer wannabes but I still have no idea how people rode in such heavy clothing without being soaked in sweat. I know I couldn't do it as I've tried on VCC rides.

I don't think many were bothered about being sweaty in those days. No antiperspirants or hang ups about having spud pie smelling arm pits!:blush: A bath once a week using carbolic soap and problem solved!:thumbsup:

Top Bottom