Cycling in 1955

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Don't forget the plus 4's and the polished brogues! I'm surprised one of them didn't have a pipe in his/her mouth as well!:tongue:

One did, one of the cyclists when they were checking the bikes at Rugby station was bending over his bike smoking his pipe.

Edit @ 5:40 "luggage properly secured" Bloke wearing a tie smoking a pipe!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
My M+D used to cycle together until my dad bought a second hand scooter with a screen and panniers in the mid 50s.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My M+D used to cycle together until my dad bought a second hand scooter with a screen and panniers in the mid 50s.
My dad had a motorbike and sidecar. He rode up to Oban with us ** in the sidecar when I was a baby.

This was before the M6 was built so we had to go up the A6 over Shap Fell where we got caught in a thunderstorm. My dad ended up near-hyopthermic! :cold:

We 'ad it tough in them days! :laugh:

(** 'Us' = my mum, 5 year old sister, baby me, and the luggage, all squeezed in together!)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
They probably don't have the right rolling stock to run a train like that again, but if they did, how much would it cost to charter one?

I would imagine that you could get about 500 cyclists on one train, if they could organise the bike storage.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
my parents cycled in those times and some of the tails still make me laugh , ie during a 24hr team race they tied inner tubes and tubs together to make a tow rope to pull 1 team member along for last couple of hours !

Top Bottom