Cycling in Britain in 1955

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Nice. A year before I was born as well. Excellent film.

Peteaud

Veteran
The 50's, best decade for fins n chrome, music and now it seems, cycles as well.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnfR9EWM6PQaRxbaIeRS8VO6FbGiSZ29XBzOG9OCdYwL0sa9v4.jpg

toekneep

I've seen that loads of times and never realised it was the year I was born. I'd love to live in that era. (But preferably at the more than the age of one)
Coincidently the first time I did the Manchester to Blackpool my number was 1955, how about that!

OP
OP
LordMarv

LordMarv

No one wore helmets then as heads were protected by a thick layer of brylcreem!

LOL...wonder if that stuff will ever make a comeback? I remember my dad used the stuff.

1) How good were train companies in 1955 for bikes!
2) Good mixed group, not the beardy weirdey I've come to expect from CTC these days*

The bikes - any one of those could be used today, in comparison the cars of the time (of which there were few) look ancient.

And lastly near the end of the film, there's a little girl on a pull along back bike behind her father(?) - I thought those were a modern invention, unfortunately the film doesnt quite show the combo of adult/half bike they are riding.

Excellent film, makes me want to go an ride.....

* Ps I have a beard, and am weird

robjh

Legendary Member
Wonderful stuff. I wonder if the motorists of the South Midlands complained about dozens of arrogant cyclists (and Londoners at that) clogging their roads on that day?

A few points noted :
'Cycling without a map is like new potatoes without mint sauce' - quite so!
The road below Kenilworth castle still floods.
Derelict-looking Foxton locks, long before renovation.
Naseby battlefield without the A14 running through it.

And the idea that people have 'ranks and stations' - some people still believe that but we don't say it so often these days. Happily cyclists were clearly ahead of the times and chose to ignore them even then!

byegad

Legendary Member
I love this film.
When it first reappeared I had vague recollections that I'd seen it before. I spoke to my Mother, and showed her the film, who thought we'd have seen it at the cinema. I was four when it was made and we used to go as a family nearly every week in the fifties so it is quite possible I really had seen it before.

Gosh! I feel old!!!!

Top Bottom