cycling in LA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tomahawk

Hi. My work is taking me to LA again based in Burbank. I have a few hours on the day after the gig and was wondering about the possibilities of hiring a bike and going for short ride. Do we think that i likely to get shot/run over etc if i do that? maybe someone on here has some experience of that. I can't recall seeing many people out on bikes when I was out there last. ..

Alex H

Legendary Member
Apparently it's legal to ride on the pavement :ohmy:

more info with a list of paths here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Los_Angeles_bike_paths

I have cycled many times in the Valley area when visiting relatives in North Hollywood. There are some LA Bikeway Guides I have an old (2000) copy of the Valley map but I believe there are updates. I no longer use the maps finding that cycling there is not as bad as many think.

If you want this Bikeway Guide pm me with you details and I will send it you.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cycling in LA is awesome dude.
The cycleway along the Pacific ocean runs for over 22 miles.
Lasouthbaybiketrail.jpg

Then there's the Valley's and the Canyon's. All fantastic, beautiful riding.
There are plenty of bike stores in LA so no worries there.

There are also a good few cycling clubs.
One of the social riding clubs is the LA Wheelmen. Message them and say you are coming over. They are very friendly. Have a fantastic cycling jersey also.

newjersey.jpg

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Midnight Ridazz............... http://www.midnightridazz.com/gallery.php

OP
OP
tomahawk

tomahawk

Well folks. I went and did it this morning. Am just waiting for my plane now.

So, just in case anyone else is heading out that way, here are some notes about my experience ...

I went south along the cycleway from Santa Monica pier. It started off cloudy and cool and then turned into a beautifull day (sorry Easytiger I'm not trying to rub it in).

So i decided to go cheap and cheerful on the bike $18 for the day from the place next to the pier. You get what you pay for and the poor girl had not seen a drop of oil for a bit but the breaks worked, sort of, and she had an endearing constant squeaking sound.

Today is president day so i got there early. None of the shops seem to be open before nine.

The cycleway is 22 miles long. Currently there are some diversions whilst theg do phase 2 improvements. I managed to get lost twice and ended up on the main roads. The thing is that because the roads are so wide the cars dont even come close. The problem is that whoever designed the on road bike lanes had never heard of the door zone as you had the parked cars near the kerb and then the bike line right next to it.

The path actually skirts the edge of the beach. Its all a bit strange as it weaves around quite a lot and is full of non cyclists, roller lasers, runners, etc. Would say that about 20% of users were non cyclists. As you go further away from Santa Monica, this improves. The nuisance is that you get Sand on the track so it didn't want to corner as fast as normal.

I did a 20 mile round trip. On the way i was amazed at how many cyclists on good bikes.and full gear that i passed on my rust bucket in my jeans and tshirt. I dont understand that. I did manage to get it up to a good pace but then there are zero hills.

Being woefully unprepared i didn't take liquid but fortunately there were rest stops with water fountains at each of the beaches. as you go south it all gets a bit industrial with the airport and some power station/refinery type things.

Overall i enjoyed it and after 3 days stuck inside a televisions studio it was good to be put in the fresh air. II saw some pelicans skimming the waves and a nice beach side view. If you are planning to do it then do it in the week if you can when its less busy.

Thanks again for the interest all ...

OP
OP
tomahawk

tomahawk

In most places in the USA it is compulsory - the pavement there is the road! In some places you can ride on the sidewalk.

it doesn't surprise me. It is a land of strange and unbending rules. I parked my rental car facing against the flow of traffic and it really freaked people out. I had to turn it round otherwise you get a ticket.

Top Bottom