1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cycling in Liguria, Italy.

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by whiskywheels, 10 Jan 2008.

1. On the basis of looking at some maps and websites, we fancy a summer holiday in this region, somewhere around San Remo or Diano San Pietro. Has anyone cycled in this area? Is it any good? We would be fixed base, and I'd want to do 30 - 50 mile fast blasts, preferably with some mountains, before returning for lunch and the aftenoon on the beach. ;)
    Any tips about routes and good locations would be most welcome.

2. oh come on..................!!! :biggrin:

3. orbiter

orbiter Well-Known Member

I've stayed in the area (Imperia) without a bike but with local friends to show me round some nice places. Flat, very winding road along the coast and long, beatiful (visually!) climbs up to mountain villages. Apricale, Perinaldo, Dolceaqua & Dolcedo spring to mind. Drivers seem to treat cyclists well - certainly on weekends when the cycling club runs are out and hard to overtake. Cycling into the mountains early in the day would certainly give you a long cool downhill run back to the beach. Not much help but maybe better than nothing.

Pete

4. orbiter

orbiter Well-Known Member

Another thing - pick your time carefully! It was over 40C there last July.

P

5. Thanks Pete, that sounds most encouraging. We're almost certainly going the last 2 weeks of June, and should be staying near some of the places you mentioned.

6. bikepacker

bikepacker Über Member

Cycled through the area along the coast. Never had any problems other than in Genoa, it is not a good place to cycle.

7. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

Not cycled there but the Cinque Terre were pretty gobsmackingly beautiful, and Portofino needs seeing as well. Beautiful part of the world. Bit hilly!