Cycling in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whiskey88

Hello everyone,

I wasn't sure exactly where to place this thread, so I guess general cycling will do the trick!

I've just found out that I've been accepted to study with the University of East London from this September. I've been cycling for as long as I can remember (see my "Welcome" post), but this has mostly been in small cities and rural countryside, with the exception of a couple of years in Auckland.

So, would anyone have any advice for someone new to cycling in London? I'll mostly be cycling around the Newham and Docklands areas, if that makes any difference to wider London advice.

Cheers!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Get some puncture resistant tyres.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'd avoid the Royal Albert Way until you're sure of the road - there's a slightly off-road route between the dock and past Newham town hall, to the south of RAW and Strait Road to the north. Just a bit further to the north, alongside the A13 there's a cyclepseudohighway which helps going on east - west routes. If you've got an address (in Docklands?) try cyclestreets.net for a choice of routes between home and college. I'd be happy to show you the quieter routes once you're installed - I'm only just over the river from Docklands.

There are a million different ways to cycle around London. Something I would recommend is that you don't allow yourself to be blinkered to the different options available. It's an odd place, and depending on your own proclivities, and the shifting sands on which the behaviour of London's other commuters is built, the best way round it can be quite counter-intuitive.

At the end of the day you may find that a quiet tow-path bimble is what you need, or strangely, that a canal-side jaunt is far more fraught than the alternative A road blast. Back-road routes could be just the thing or CycleSuperHighways might tick all your boxes - except on Thursdays. I would imagine that most London riders have a portfolio of routes at their disposal to use as circumstances and whim dictate.

I think the best advice I can give at this stage is research some specific routes that you might use and then ask any questions you might have about them in the commuting section of the forum. Crossing Bow Creek, and the bloody A12, severely limits your options compared to commuting elsewhere, but there's a really good chance that people here will have some useful experience to share about the various ways you can get through that part of London.
Remember, none of us have the definitive answer, there are enough here though to give you a balanced view of the options available. The truth is, you'll probably find out that the best way to get around is just to get on your bike and ride.

OP
OP
Whiskey88

Whiskey88

That was a very informative post, @benborp - I think I just became blinkered by all the different options mentioned!

Thanks for all the help. @deptfordmarmoset - I will probably take you up on your offer once my head stops spinning from the new life, whenever it even starts.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
JFDI.

I started riding in central London 16 years ago, after being used to the cycle nirvana that was Oxford. I've always preferred London - even 16 years ago the drivers were more forgiving, the traffic was slower - and the roads are wider. Things have improved immeasurably over 16 years.

[QUOTE 2468486, member: 259"]Get a massive lock.[/quote]
Or a Brompton. Although these days I see blingy little bikes locked up in central London with what appear to be very flimsy locks - and they're the same bikes I saw in the same locations a couple of years ago.

Kookas

Über Member
Or a Brompton. Although these days I see blingy little bikes locked up in central London with what appear to be very flimsy locks - and they're the same bikes I saw in the same locations a couple of years ago.

In those two years, it's probably been replaced 5 times.

After all, you are talking about people who live and work in the most expensive part of the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a carefree millionaire.

thom

____
Take a trip (with your bike) on the Emirates Cable Car - £3.20 with Oyster for an unique view of East London - going in to Greenwich will give you something a bit different to the North side of the river.

outlash

also available in orange
Where are your digs or are you on campus?

outlash

also available in orange
Nice :smile:. If you want somewhere a bit quieter to ride then check what the natives call the sewer bank (it runs along the top of the notrhern outfall sewer), although I think it's called the greenway now. It runs from the bottom of Eat Ham High street south (A13) end up to the A12 near the olympic stadium.

Tony.

Top Bottom