Cycling in Mallorca in August ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dzzi

Im going on holiday for 11 days to Alcudia with my wife, three kids, mum & dad in law, brother and sister in law and their 2 kids !
I have this fanciful notion that i might be able to get out for a ride of some sort, maybe once/twice in that period.
Does anyone have any recommendations, comments, observations that might

a) Help me actually get this ridiculous plan to work
b) Persuade me that it's just going to be way too HOT !

I would but i'm thinking of doing the same myself but in La Manga and i already know where i can hire the bike.

PK99

Legendary Member
Im going on holiday for 11 days to Alcudia with my wife, three kids, mum & dad in law, brother and sister in law and their 2 kids !
I have this fanciful notion that i might be able to get out for a ride of some sort, maybe once/twice in that period.

I did some MTB in Mallorca in July a few years ago - early morning to 11 am was ok. Beyond that it was just too hot. august will be hotter!

festival

Über Member
You may know that Alcudia is in fact where team Sky set up training camp along with thousands of club riders but probably not in August.
I know it well and its a good part of the island to use as a base, one way along the coast to Pollensa leads to the mountains, while the other way opens up routes to some lovely quiet roads.
You don't say if you know the area or are taking your bike ? or what your idea of 'a ride of some sort' is.
The heat will be oppressive if the choice of route, length and time of day are not considered carefully and I am sure the roads will be full of hire cars not used to the roads etc unlike.
There are a few very good bike hire company's who provided quality road bikes to your hotel but probably are closed at this time of year.
There is an excellent bike shop in Alcudia called Sport Bequi on the road to Arta who hire bikes.
If you are thinking of taking your own bike and are on a package hol its likely the coach from the airport will not accept your bike even if it has room,
the same with airport taxi's.
Tempting as it appears I would give it a miss and enjoy the break.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!

I holiday in Mallorca every year, always late July early august and always hire a road bike for the full two weeks from Pollenca Cycling. Yes it is hot so i try to set of on a ride about 08:30 and usually get a couple of hours in before the tarmac starts to melt however, take plenty of liquid and don't go mad and its not the least bit as bad as you might think, keeping moving helps keep you cool, even if your just coasting. One good tip is carry a small bottle of water in your pocket to pour over your head if you start to feel really hot. Coast road between Porto Pollen a and Alcudia is a dream of a ride and the breeze from the sea is heavenly. Trust me, try it once and you will be back again next year.

OP
OP
D

Dzzi

get out early, 7-8 am early :smile: a few reasons.. it cooler, it can get very hot, less traffic, getting out early gives you the rest of the day with family and friends...

if hiring a bike, have a look here, gives prices and bikes....
Alcudia mallorca
http://www.wheelssport.net/
Thanks for the advice and the link it's given me a good idea of the hire costs, around 15 Euro's a day so a couple of early morning jaunts along the cost might be possible. I have signed up for the Essex100 on Sep 1st and just want to keep the legs turning during the weeks i am away. Could use a Gym Bike but i hate those so know i probably won't do that !

lulubel

Über Member
It will be hot. As others have said, get out early. Also, make sure you carry plenty of water with you (more than you think you need), and use electrolyte tablets in your water.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
As other posters have said it will be fine if you get out early in the morning for 2/3 hours. As for bike hire try Procycle Hire in Peurto Pollensa. Good service and a good range of bikes and they will deliver to your hotel.

I will second Bruce at Pro cycle hire. I hired a bike last August from him. it was hot and lovely.
If you don't fancy hilly stuff then there is plenty of flat, quiet roads around Sa Pobla/pollenca/Alcudia.

OP
OP
D

Dzzi

Hi All,
Thought i would pop back with a brief update. I did manage to get out for a ride. My Hotel in Alcudia was next to a Max Hurzler bike hire/shop and for the very reasonable sum of 18 Euro's a pop we (me and my 14 year old son) got 2 very nice cube road bikes.
My Son had not ridden a road bike of any type before so it was with some trepidation i watched him mount up and cycle a few meters in the shop to test out the height of the saddle. Guys in the shop were great, adjusted both bike for us until we were happy gave some advice on routes and off we went for a hot (only when we stopped really) but very enjoyable 50k, a new PB for my son !

The strava link is here for anyone interested http://app.strava.com/activities/73558066

Cheers

Dave

Top Bottom