Cycling in Portugal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteveBM

Hi all
I have been successful in the Ride 100 ballot. Only problem is that I had planned to go on holiday to Portugal (Carvoiero) for the two weeks immediately preceding the ride.

I'd like to get a few miles in while I am away in Portugal if possible.

I'd really appreciate your advice on the following:
- If I cycle early in the morning or late in the afternoon, will the heat be bearable, or am I mad to be considering cycling in Portugal in July?
- Any tips on good routes
- Any recommendations of hire shops

I've done a bit of Googling and got some useful links, but would appreciate the learned knowledge of you good people

cheers!

Watching with interest
Am off to Ferragudo for 10 days with a view to hiring a bike and getting some miles in.
Any recommendations for shops or routes are really welcome

Danny Tuff

Über Member
Only rule of thumb I can give you, is check to see if Google street view is available in the area you're going to stay.

I was in Foz do Arelho, Portugal not too long ago, No Google street view, and it resulted in some very poor roads with very remote areas.

OP
OP
SteveBM

SteveBM

Just to follow up on this. Hired my bike from Megasport. Delivered to, and collected from my villa for free.

Bike was a carbon frame road bike with 105 groupset but only an 8 speed. Never mind, I managed to get some good rides in and feel I have prepared adequately for the Ride 100. There are some great routes in beautiful rolling countryside around here. Happy to share my routes if they are of interest.
Didn't scale all of Monchique but had a good stab at it, turning off at around 1900 feet. Next time though!

Would recommend Megasport. Good service and good bike.

For those travelling in July/Aug, I would recommend heading out at 7:30am and getting back by 10 to avoid worst of the heat

Top Bottom