Cycling in Rwanda

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Years ago I went to Uganda and travelled to the Rwandan border - it's hilly country around there, very hilly - but the roads look to have improved. Looks very strange to me to see all the kit - whereas the bikes I can remember were the more sit up and beg type. I hope they do well in the future:bravo:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Nice little report. I also went to Rwanda before the war. We drove down to Lake Kivu, I don't think I've ever been in a country where there were so many people active in the countryside, walking and cycling along the roads with huge loads. I remember having a meeting with a bloke in Kigali and feeling something run over my foot; looked down and it was a cockroach the size of a large bar of soap. Yeuch!

I've tried to get in touch with the equivalent group in Lagos and was soundly rebuffed by the Chairman of the Nigerian Cycling Federation, one Chief Anni, who made it clear he wasn't interested in any contact with European riders. Probably 99% of money for sport gets stolen in Nigeria, which probably explains why 140 million people couldn't produce one single Olympic medal-winning athlete.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Those roads have improved though I don't remember seeing tarmac on any of the rural roads, only really in Kampala and near by when I was there (1992 I think).

Imagine what they might do with a 10th of the money the UK cyclists get!!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's tempting to imagine isn't it!

The problem with bringing African athletes to Europe is that a fair number of them tend not to get on the 'plane back home and just disappear into their compatroits' support structure in the nearest big city. I would if I was one of them.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
If cyclist in Africa start to dominate in the way that middle and long-distance running has been dominated by the Kenyans, Ethiopians and Eritreans, then look forward to choosing your favourite African cyclist to support!
And if we can find any as lovely as Mr Haile Gebrselassie, then we could hit a golden era of road cycling. And in Red Gold and Green too!

Top Bottom