Cycling in the wrong type of clothes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I've noticed the same thing. I ride with several people of various ages who seem overly concerned about (1) being 'warm enough' and (2) being visible enough to drivers. So they wear their plastic hi-viz jackets all the time and then wonder why they struggle to keep up. I discovered quite early on that the effort of cycling is easier if you're a little bit on the chilly side, and I've never believed wholeheartedly in 'hi-viz', so I do try suggesting they take the jacket off (but they won't, usually).
Suggest a Sam Browne belt.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Reminds me of Kevin -aka 'Never Knowingly Under-dressed' - who used to ride with us, You knew it was going to be a hot day when he only wore 2 jackets. Funnily enough he always wore shorts, winter or summer, whatever the weather

When I was competing in a combat sport, running, and training in hot weather in sweat suits or sauna suits was a regular occurrence. Doing 10km in summer at local park in a sweat suit does get you odd looks.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Each to his own.....I wonder if @rich p remembers the South Downs Way 80 in 1992? It was held on an incredibly hot weekend, temperatures peaked at about 33c. I was passed by a guy in full winter kit including a duffle jacket with his hood up. Rumour had it that he hated cold weather and would only come outside in the hottest of weathers. I seem to remember that his finishing time was 15 hrs for the 80 mile (foot) race........far better than me, I dropped out at 38 miles with dehydration, even though I was only wearing a running vest and shorts.
I remember it (and him) well Rocky. I suffered too but got to the end. I remember telling a doctor friend, at Pyecombe, who came to support me that my pee was a dribble of dark brown. He said, well, what do you expect.
The guy in the duffle coat is a Brighton local eccentric, called Julian. He used to run/jog 35 miles every day, all year round, in hoods, duffle coat, boots, trousers, as you say. He believed it would make him live longer. He is still around and still active, although he walks now. Still wearing coats and scarves and massive gloves all through the summer. I'm very fond of him.

Now we're living in France & I have the opposite problem. It's really far too hot for someone of my poor fitness levels to cover any real distances during the day. This afternoon it was 36C and not a breath of wind. I mean, there's only so many clothes I can take off.
Try the WNBR sure to be one near by, cloths are then not a problem.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Each to his own.....I wonder if @rich p remembers the South Downs Way 80 in 1992? It was held on an incredibly hot weekend, temperatures peaked at about 33c. I was passed by a guy in full winter kit including a duffle jacket with his hood up. Rumour had it that he hated cold weather and would only come outside in the hottest of weathers. I seem to remember that his finishing time was 15 hrs for the 80 mile (foot) race........far better than me, I dropped out at 38 miles with dehydration, even though I was only wearing a running vest and shorts.
@User14044 , as it happens I snapped this photo of Julian of the duffel coat today. He had a full balaclava on, many layers and the new hi-viz gilet! Good luck to him.

20160912_130834-1.jpg

Tin Pot

Guru
Out today i saw a cyclist wearing a waterproof type jacket, under helmet hat, full fingered gloves, longs/leggings and overshoes. This was in 23C ! It takes a lot to warm me up but i was sweating in just a short sleeve jersey, shorts and mesh shoes. Why was this fellow wearing winter clothing i wondered? I imagined what it'd be like to wear that tackle in such heat. I reckon i could do it but there'd be no reason to do apart from a bet maybe. Could you and would you ride so wrapped up on a warm or hot day, and on a flip side could you, would you ride in summer cycle clothing in say 5C?

Hanging is too good for him.

Top Bottom