Cycling in the wrong type of clothes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Out today i saw a cyclist wearing a waterproof type jacket, under helmet hat, full fingered gloves, longs/leggings and overshoes. This was in 23C ! It takes a lot to warm me up but i was sweating in just a short sleeve jersey, shorts and mesh shoes. Why was this fellow wearing winter clothing i wondered? I imagined what it'd be like to wear that tackle in such heat. I reckon i could do it but there'd be no reason to do apart from a bet maybe. Could you and would you ride so wrapped up on a warm or hot day, and on a flip side could you, would you ride in summer cycle clothing in say 5C?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Early mornings can be very cold and he did not have a change of clothes for the ride back?

johnnyb47

Guru
Blimey .He /she must of been roasting. I had a pair of shorts , and a short sleeved shirt on today and was soaked through with sweat. I never feel hot whilst out on the bike. It's around 5 minutes after the ride I start to over heat. I think the cool air rushing over you whilst cycling keeps at it bay

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Blimey .He /she must of been roasting. I had a pair of shorts a short sleeved shirt on today and was soaked through with sweat. I never feel hot whilst out on the bike. It's around 5 minutes after the ride I start to over heat. I think the cool air rushing over you whilst cycling keeps at it bay

Are you about 6 foot 3 inch with a 35 inch inside leg Johnny?

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Na. Just 6ft and getting shorter as the years pass by lol

I was going off the size of the bike in your avatar. It looks like a 62cm frame.:okay:

johnnyb47

Guru
Accy cyclist
Veteran
New
johnnyb47 said: ↑
I was going off the size of the bike in your avatar. It looks like a 62cm frame......
It's a 23" 1/2 inch frame in old money, I think that's around 62 cm..( I may be wrong )
I feel really suited to it though

classic33

Leg End Member
Accy cyclist
Veteran
New
johnnyb47 said: ↑
I was going off the size of the bike in your avatar. It looks like a 62cm frame......
It's a 23" 1/2 inch frame in old money, I think that's around 62 cm..( I may be wrong )
I feel really suited to it though
Just under an 1/8th of inch out.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been riding in southern Spain in March when it was about 23 degrees C. Everybody in my group was wearing summer kit and feeling very warm. We saw a few groups of Spanish riders out wearing full winter kit. Tights, armwarmers, scarves and woolly hats - they clearly felt that it was still mid-winter! We rode up through some hilltop villages and most of the villagers were still wearing heavy jumpers or jackets to fight off the cold.

Mind you, if I went to Spain in August I would melt! The locals would probably just be putting their jumpers away for a couple of months ...

I took this photo over 1,000 ft up in the Pennines in winter. I was wearing heavy-duty winter kit. While I was standing there, a young rider went by wearing lightweight summer kit. His legs were bright red with cold ... :wacko:

View down A58 from The White House to Hollingworth Lake and Littleborough in winter.jpg

Goggs

Guru
We spent last winter in a small mountain village in Almeria. The local cyclists would come up from down on the playas all wrapped up no matter the temps. It's only around May that the shorts are on. All the clothes they wear doesn't seem to hinder their climbing abilities though.

Now we're living in France & I have the opposite problem. It's really far too hot for someone of my poor fitness levels to cover any real distances during the day. This afternoon it was 36C and not a breath of wind. I mean, there's only so many clothes I can take off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom