Cycling in turkey, your experiences!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Going on hols to Turkey soon and am thinking of hiring a bike so as not to waste a summer of getting fit, only to lose the benefits on an all inclusive hol. Just wondering if any of you have done this and whether it was good/bad?

Lee_M

Guru
Just check the state of the bike before you use it, they may not follow the same maintenance regime (I.e. any) as yourself.

Other than that, watch out for idiot tourists on motorbikes and in jeeps

I believe turkeys are very fond of cycling, and a whole race scene has developed around the feathered flyers :tongue:
TurkeyBike.jpg

Hi,

I lived more or less full time in Turkey 2007-2010 and had a locally-built full sus Bianchi MTB. Crap bike, but it was only £100 and got me around and into the countryside. I gave it away when I left. I was in Canakkale on the Dardanelles and could go over to the Gallipoli penninsular (National Park) and up into the hills. Canakkale is fairly flat (down by the sea) and lots of locals ride bikes - but out of town cyclists are a rarity. Drivers are not very cyclist-friendly and it's best to stick to the rural roads. These will generally be a bit rough so you'll really need an MTB - definately not a road bike - I think I only saw 3 or 4 roadies in my time there. The local shepherd dogs can be a problem; these live with the goats and sheep and fend for themselves - I was chased a couple of times and probably set the world speed record for a full sus BSO over the 1/4 mile.

But don't let that put you off - it's good to get away from the crowds and up in the villages the locals are very friendly and accomodating. You can eat out for very little, and the local Efes beer is good. I'd wear a hi-viz tabard to give you a bit of an advantage, and don't try turning left across the road like we do. Stop at the side, get off and cross on foot. It can be very hot so drink plenty of water. And have a good time. Avoid the tourist areas and meet the locals - they are lovely people.

Ha ha! Turkey's not bad in comparison to some countries I've worked in......But, you've not lived until you've driven the Istanbul ring road, at rush hour on a Friday after dark - and I have!. Now, that's a challenge! Definately don't venture out on a bike at that time....

Seriously though, get out into the sticks - take a local bus even if only for a couple of hours and you'll meet the real Turks - and very hospitable they are too. Avoid the holiday resort as much as you can and you'll get good, cheap Turkish food and don't forget the Turkish coffee - ask for Turk caveh, orta sheker (I've spelt it phonetically - Turkish coffee - medium sugar - it needs a bit of sugar even if you don't normally take it). Or chai (Turkish tea).

Hope you enjoy it!

Top Bottom