Cycling in TV ads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I did like that one for Orange(?) where the bike went off on it's own...

I've noticed more and more bikes in ads - there's a fruit juice one, where a cyclist picks an orange off a tree, one for BT where the woman rides home to watch the telly on demand... And the Welsh tourist board one with MTBs...

It does seem, from a very rough dredge of my memory that bikes in ads are a generally positive image - health and freedom etc.. So that's good, even if a little cynical...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
there's some slightly geeky looking roadies on the citroen ad (where the robot car goes up the mountain), and a slowed down not-quite-dressed-for-the-part cyclist on the ad for the alpha romeo.

and of course the ad for the mr bean film.

i take it we're not including all the euro ads with iffy translation that you get on eurosport.

bonj2

what about the one for laser eye surgery where some centre-parcs type person is doing a gratuitous slow-motion jump on a cheapo-halfords looking MTB...

redfox

I liked the BT one where the woman is racing to get home to watch the telly, as it portrayed cycling as an everyday thing without being patronising.

She seemed to be going at a fair lick on the road, on a normal bike, in normal clothes without the need for a helmet.

bonj2

I like (in a sort of laugh at, rather than with, sort of way) the one about reducing your 'carbon footprint' where there's a shot of a cul-de-sac about three times throughout it, and each time there's yet more cyclists than the previous time - it's as is they reviewed the footage and decided there weren't enough in so grabbed a few more extras and gave them bikes, not realising how ridiculous amsterdam-style bike 'traffic' on an english cul-de-sac looks.

Pete

Hovis?

col

Legendary Member
Does anyone remember the typhoo tea ones,with the monkey s riding the tour?

SamNichols

redfox said:
I liked the BT one where the woman is racing to get home to watch the telly, as it portrayed cycling as an everyday thing without being patronising.

She seemed to be going at a fair lick on the road, on a normal bike, in normal clothes without the need for a helmet.

Plus it helps that the woman is absolutely gorgeous (she's in both Waking the Dead and Spooks, if I remember correctly).

greenmark

Guru
ivancarlos said:
The only one I can think of is the renault clio one with a bunch of roadies honking out of the saddle to the groove armada 'shaking that ass' tune.

There's a racing bike theme with Clio ads. When there was the run of the "Papa"/"Nicole" Clio ads, there would always be one shot of cyclists - if I recall, one version had the clio overtaking a chain gang and in another a cyclist zooms in the background as Nicole sat down at a cafe.

Top Bottom