Cycling in West Sussex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi folks,

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place (I wasn't sure which section to throw this in), so figured General would be best to start with.

I'm heading up to West Sussex this month (July), and wondering if there are any good cycling routes, or circuits which I could enjoy? I'm pretty much looking so far (thanks to Google Maps), from Goring-by-sea to Brighton onwards via the seafront, and maybe doing a loop and heading back that way. But if anyone knows any other routes, let me know.

Thank you,

vickster

Legendary Member

L2XE

Regular
There's the south cycle route 102 which should suit. Some of it is a bit rough, but most of it keeps you away from traffic. It's not as fast as being on the road though and can be a bit congested in parts.

Try going out towards Chichester harbour, or Fishbourne. There are loads of lovely sights to see. If you head out on the back roads, and up past Goodwood, there's a lovely little hill ( Kennel hill) with some corking views from the top. If you carry on down the other side, and turn right, you will reach a village called Cocking, which is nice. I'd forget the 102 and 108 routes, they are tedious, and overly popular with a certain cycling demographic. West Sussex has some very nice places to visit, and lots of little out of the way pubs and places to stop.

John342

Another option could be head up towards the South Downs. Always used to be a favourite of mine till I moved up north.

Just found this thread, so I might be a little late - when are you visiting PSC?

There are loads of good roads to choose from (& pubs as @User13710 has suggested, i can add more if you wish!). In very general terms you'll have good roads (apart from the surface!) if you stay OFF the 'A' roads, although these can be fine at 4.00 a.m.

What sort of distance(s) are you wanting? Do you like hills?

back from Brighton to Goring: head north over Devils Dyke, turn left at Poynings and come back along the Edburton Rd, A2037, A283, left at Maudlin Lane and left along Annington Rd (or left up Clays Hill, instead of Maudlin, & turn left along Bostal Road; a lovely stretch along the top of the Downs if you ignore the initial climb and then need to cross the A27 at the bottom).

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
Hi Shadow, I'll be heading up Monday 18th, heading home on Thursday 21st, so hoping to get a ride in a night or something.

Considering riding to Chichester first, then maybe head over to Brighton.

Top Bottom