Cycling Infrastructure Design (England)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
look's to have came out yesterday along with obesity plan.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlto...of-protected-cycleways-pledges-boris-johnson/
What come's next is still open for debate but the language of government around cycling look's to have change. Which has to be a positive move. Some thought is now going in and just a blot on afterthought but part of a solution. Looks like a bit of white paint no longer cut's it for funding.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I hate this site's attachment fails!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-07-28-10-11-37.png
    Screenshot_2020-07-28-10-11-37.png
    75.6 KB · Views: 7

Drago

Legendary Member
It's been a long time coming, but we finally have a PM who is himself a cyclist, and who not only appreciates it's as an effecient form of transport, but who also enjoys it. I just hope it lasts beyond the next election, which is when the Daily Mail readers get to put their bleating onto a ballot paper.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It is no secret to cyclists that there are better ways of losing weight than cycling. To have an obesity plan around cycling suprised me at first. But there are things to its credit when you look into it. hopefully, it will get more cyclists on the road.

With regards to the new infrastructure. I hope someone hopped onto a Ryanair and came over to Denmark for a couple of weeks and had a ride around. It would save them a fortune in research.

Cycle paths in the countryside in Denmark is something that always suprise me. The authorities appear to commandeer the edge of farmers fields running alongside the road. A few weeks later it is miles of super smooth cycle path that always seems to stay intact. I am trying to find what 1km of cycle path costs to build.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Cycle paths in the countryside in Denmark is something that always suprise me. The authorities appear to commandeer the edge of farmers fields running alongside the road. A few weeks later it is miles of super smooth cycle path that always seems to stay intact. I am trying to find what 1km of cycle path costs to build.
There's a section of good but unclassified (should be part of National 11 but Sustrans won't abandon the long-blocked-by-a-landlord Waterbeach route) cycle path between Lode and Quy near Cambridge that seems to have been built in a similar style. Time will tell how closely they studied the Danes!

Badger_Boom

Über Member
With regards to the new infrastructure. I hope someone hopped onto a Ryanair and came over to Denmark for a couple of weeks and had a ride around. It would save them a fortune in research.
I don't know about the authors of the revised guidance, or at Highways England and local authorities, but I work with highway designers and engineers, and there are lot of cyclists among them so hopefully there's already a body of anecdotal knowledge out there waiting to be tapped.

mjr

I don't know about the authors of the revised guidance, or at Highways England and local authorities, but I work with highway designers and engineers, and there are lot of cyclists among them so hopefully there's already a body of anecdotal knowledge out there waiting to be tapped.
Does it matter how good the designers are while the funding is allocated by "old men in limos"? I guess we're about to find out. I seriously expect a few council leaders will prefer to suffer funding cuts instead of build decent cycleways, then play to their local voters about mean old Whitehall not funding them enough to build the motorways "we" all want tarmacked through other peoples' homes!

Ultimately, this is only yet more guidance and grants, but not statutory duties or liability for dangerous crap. I hope it works but I suspect it won't.

mjr

It's been a long time coming, but we finally have a PM who is himself a cyclist, and who not only appreciates it's as an effecient form of transport, but who also enjoys it.
Does his security not insist on a "follow car" carrying his bodyguards and secret papers like they did for the shiny-faced pig-fancier, then?

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I seriously expect a few council leaders will prefer to suffer funding cuts instead of build decent cycleways, then play to their local voters about mean old Whitehall not funding them enough to build the motorways "we" all want tarmacked through other peoples' homes!
And yet here in York, all I hear are complaints about how the local authority is deliberately trying to drive (pun absolutely intended) cars out of the city and pandering to the vocal cycling lobby.

classic33

Leg End Member
So long as we have people saying to our faces or in public, when pressed, that they support the building of cycle lanes over faster roads. Then when it comes to the important time of putting their words into action they vote against it. Yet still they say they support the cyclist, after the vote.

So long as we have people doing this, what chance have we of actually getting the situation changed, and us(as cyclists) treated on an equal footing.

Top Bottom