1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cycling is a drug riddled, cheat riddled, dirty sport.

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by Racing roadkill, 5 Mar 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This very phrase was used by someone stood near me, in a bar last night. I was going to say something, but then I thought, actually, they are right. I’m not convinced it’s any worse than a lot of other sports, it’s just that it seems to get more attention, when it happens in ‘sport’ cycling.
    dave r and Maenchi like this.
  2. Ian H

Ian H Guru

It always has been. The other way of describing it is 'professional'.

I was far more irritated by Sky's tediously clinical* approach to winning than their 'gaming the system'. Okay, the holier-than-thou attitude grates as well.

*have a little laugh at the double-entendre if you wish.
    smutchin and Dogtrousers like this.
  3. The reason it gets more attention is its history. At its peak, in the '90s - from what I've read, it's hard to imagine a more dope-fuelled sport. It's worth digging out and reading Jonathan Vaughters' quite funny description of being a neo-pro in the mid 90s. I'll see if I can find it. ( here )

But now, meh. Sky are even cheating at cheating. I mean, cheating without breaking the rules! The rotters.
    Racing roadkill, mjr and roadrash like this.
  4. AndyRM

AndyRM Guru

Whitley Bay
    Cool, another doping thread. Not had one of those for a few minutes.
    Marmion and Dogtrousers like this.
  5. OP
    Racing roadkill

Racing roadkill Guru

It’s not limited to the ‘pro echelons’ either now. I know of a few ‘clubby / Sportive’ types, that have managed to get hold of certain drugs, from legitimate sources, and used them, to try and get an advantage. I mean FFS in a Sportive / club ride, get a grip:laugh:
    dave r likes this.
  6. Rocky

Rocky A Scotsman abroad

The House of Commons is dope riddled, cheat riddled, dirty spot.

I know this is bizarre but I can't take the report seriously - it just feels like its been written by a Daily Mail journalist. This is sad - because if there is a drug problem in sport, it needs taking seriously and dealing with. I just din't think MPs are the best people to do this at the moment.
    Toshiba Boy, rich p, R_nger and 4 others like this.
  7. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Overconfidentii Vulgaris Staff Member

Bollo and Dogtrousers like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.