Cycling is a drug riddled, cheat riddled, dirty sport.

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by Racing roadkill, 5 Mar 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This very phrase was used by someone stood near me, in a bar last night. I was going to say something, but then I thought, actually, they are right. I’m not convinced it’s any worse than a lot of other sports, it’s just that it seems to get more attention, when it happens in ‘sport’ cycling.

dave r and Maenchi like this.
  2. Ian H

Ian H Guru

It always has been. The other way of describing it is 'professional'.

I was far more irritated by Sky's tediously clinical* approach to winning than their 'gaming the system'. Okay, the holier-than-thou attitude grates as well.

*have a little laugh at the double-entendre if you wish.

smutchin and Dogtrousers like this.
  3. The reason it gets more attention is its history. At its peak, in the '90s - from what I've read, it's hard to imagine a more dope-fuelled sport. It's worth digging out and reading Jonathan Vaughters' quite funny description of being a neo-pro in the mid 90s. I'll see if I can find it. ( here )

But now, meh. Sky are even cheating at cheating. I mean, cheating without breaking the rules! The rotters.

Racing roadkill, mjr and roadrash like this.
  4. AndyRM

AndyRM Guru

Cool, another doping thread. Not had one of those for a few minutes.

5. OP
    OP
    Racing roadkill

Racing roadkill Guru

It’s not limited to the ‘pro echelons’ either now. I know of a few ‘clubby / Sportive’ types, that have managed to get hold of certain drugs, from legitimate sources, and used them, to try and get an advantage. I mean FFS in a Sportive / club ride, get a grip:laugh:

dave r likes this.
  6. Rocky

Rocky A Scotsman abroad

The House of Commons is dope riddled, cheat riddled, dirty spot.

I know this is bizarre but I can't take the report seriously - it just feels like its been written by a Daily Mail journalist. This is sad - because if there is a drug problem in sport, it needs taking seriously and dealing with. I just din't think MPs are the best people to do this at the moment.

Toshiba Boy, rich p, R_nger and 4 others like this.
  7. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Overconfidentii Vulgaris Moderator

Bollo and Dogtrousers like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice