Froome and Wiggins TUEs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Were released last night from the hack. Bit dull really. Froome had confirmed his 2 TUEs to Richard Moore ages ago and we've known about Wiggins' asthma for years.

I really hoped they would release something juicy but it's all a bit lame.

Tin Pot

Guru
Were released last night from the hack. Bit dull really. Froome had confirmed his 2 TUEs to Richard Moore ages ago and we've known about Wiggins' asthma for years.

I really hoped they would release something juicy but it's all a bit lame.

Russians hack WADA and all is revealed!

Seriously though, there are two things to take away here;

1. If hackers can't find evidence of a cover up at WADA, there probably isn't one.

2. If it was Russia, they were looking to locate people from the whereabouts information athletes have to provide

oldroadman

Veteran
When operating at the top end of your potential, any small problems become obvious. Like the asthma induced by extreme exercise - for instance try climbing a 10km col at race speed. Also the immune system is right on the edge of being compromised, as an example bronchitis can spread like wildfire through a peloton. So it's hardly a surprise that TUEs for medications which can be used in higher doses to offer potential performance benefits are about. The fact that the TUE is in place, for me indicates that team doctors are actually doing their job properly. The hack and exposure of date which means nothing looks just like a revenge job for getting caught out. Good job the old East German lot are not around with their system, in today's world they would likely have had some real problems with WADA!

OP
OP
Joffey

Joffey

Big Dosser
I kind of agree with @oldroadman here. We can all get our tin foil hats on and scream coverup but elite athletes are on the edge and push their bodies hard. The body may react with exercise induced asthma and some drugs on a TUE can bring this down to 'normal'.

I just try to enjoy the sport now. The athletes using TUEs are operating within the rules so there is nothing that me kicking off can do. It is the same for everyone and it's medically supervised at UCI level (panel of 3 docs). It's not ideal but it is what it is and until it changes athletes will use TUEs.

At least Froome, who stated he had 2 TUEs actually had 2 leaked so it kind of makes him more believable in that respect.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
These particular relevations aren't particularly exciting. The fact that they originate from Russia suggests they might be diversionary tactics.

But there is a bigger debate to be had about TUEs, transparency and an athlete's right to privacy.

Ross Tucker (not everyone's favourite person I know) said yesterday:
So we have Door #1 - genuine medical issue, needs TUE, but should the athlete be competing? I'd say in many cases, "no". Like chest infection
Then Door #2 - no medical issue, so TUE is exploitation of loophole, no different to doping, which should be illegal.
Either door, problems

If you need medication to circumvent the performance constraints that your body imposes (eg bronchial spasm in response to exercise stress) then it does look a bit dopingish.

Door 3, is trapdoor which Tucker falls through.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Having looked deeper into it, the dates of some or the ingected treatments so lose to tours looks suspicious. Can't believe the same problems crop up at same times each year. It's not illegal, but casts shade on things for me slightly. Especially with performances being so much better than rivals, when tue is meant to allow to compete. If that Ill even with medicine it would show no?

oldroadman

Veteran
Having looked deeper into it, the dates of some or the ingected treatments so lose to tours looks suspicious. Can't believe the same problems crop up at same times each year. It's not illegal, but casts shade on things for me slightly. Especially with performances being so much better than rivals, when tue is meant to allow to compete. If that Ill even with medicine it would show no?
From that comment you could be led to think that no other single rider in the peloton had a TUE in force, or that no convicted dopers who had "served their time" were ever in the peloton. The best riders are the best because they are the best. Even in darker days (and I'm thinking pre-Armstrong) the best still did the winning. Just taking some substance does not turn a donkey into a racehorse, despite what the naïve might like to think.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Not saying they are not great athletes without this medication. But it's very hard to Deny if when taking it they are a step ahead of other great athletes so convincingly, that there is a benefit coming from these dosings rather than just "making them feel better". Weight loss from cortisones very shortly before a grand tour can't be a total detriment. As I said none of this is illegal, just to me takes the shine off what was meant to be something different from the past. Now just feels hidden in plain sight wth increase in TUEs when riders are meant to be better treated than ever, and more monitored, which I woud believe would result in less illness, not more . Not just a sky thing, across the pros as several other teams have same dealings, but with less success than Sky's main men

Top Bottom