Froome and Wiggins TUEs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Even in darker days (and I'm thinking pre-Armstrong) the best still did the winning. Just taking some substance does not turn a donkey into a racehorse, despite what the naïve might like to think.

For someone who states they are anti-doping you don't half fall into the trap of using language that many dopers use.

OP
OP
Joffey

Joffey

Big Dosser
Can anyone link a study that shows that a week of asthma drugs at the level on the TUE of Froome can have such benefits that he could win a stage race? Or are we presuming that these drugs would give a super beneficial advantage to the rider and are jumping on the bandwagon? Or are any of us doctors who could comment if the drug use on the TUE is excessive for an elite athlete?

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
What next: do we stop them from having bandages, plasters and pain relief after a crash?

I agree that we need to ask questions and ensure that cyclists and teams are kept under close scrutiny, but I've not got any objections to the legitimate use of legitimate medication.

oldroadman

Veteran
For someone who states they are anti-doping you don't half fall into the trap of using language that many dopers use.
You'll have to excuse me for that. It's an age thing. When someone is from that time period we tend to use basic language which can seem difficult to some. There's no "excuses" in the post, just a simple statement of facts. Getting beaten by people who may or may not have better ability is OK, and in that darker past when it would be strange not to wonder if most riders "prepared" then if "prepared" rider A is better than "prepared" rider B they still win whether "prepared" or not. What I do know is that being "unprepared" makes life a bit harder. But at least it's possible to keep healthy, look your children in the eye and say you did things the right way, even if success was limited and obscurity guaranteed.

TUE's have a place. Asthma is much more comon than you imagine and having it puts you at a disadvantage even with treatment. Can I ask if those moaning about it drive a diesel?

Im ambivalent about the asthma thing - I shared a dorm at school with a guy who really suffered with asthma - he was the regional 100m champion at his age and a fabulous athlete at many other sports - his ability didnt come from his inhaler

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
TUE's have a place. Asthma is much more comon than you imagine and having it puts you at a disadvantage even with treatment. Can I ask if those moaning about it drive a diesel?
My lungs have improved after my recent health problems but they are still not perfect.

I generally avoid traffic congestion but there are currently roadworks on the A646 and I got caught in traffic jams there both ways yesterday. The diesel fumes were really not nice at all! Some of the vehicles were spewing out great plumes of black exhaust gases as they accelerated away when the lights turned to green.

So much for diesel reducing air pollution ...

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Not saying they are not great athletes without this medication. But it's very hard to Deny if when taking it they are a step ahead of other great athletes so convincingly, that there is a benefit coming from these dosings rather than just "making them feel better".

Can anyone link a study that shows that a week of asthma drugs at the level on the TUE of Froome can have such benefits that he could win a stage race?

Given that Froome has only two TUEs traceable to discrete periods and has also won or placed convincingly when not taking medication, notably in GTs, it's probably reasonable to assume the medication isn't a significant contributor to his performance (or the lack of medication isn't a significant detriment)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
No one's suggesting that Froome has abused the system in this particular instance. (Well, I expect they are in the Clinic, but hey ...) These latest relevations are, in themselves, a bit of a damp squib. Froome's just one of the famous names in this un-exciting leak.

The real issue with TUEs is highlighted by US runner Lauren Fleshman's reports of getting asthma medication on TUE and being pressed by Alberto Salazar to use the medication in a manner at odds with the medical advice.

@coffeejo bandages & plasters aren't on the WADA banned list. Painkillers are an interesting one. There was a bit of a fuss about Tramadol abuse in cycling recently but I can't remember what came of it. I don't think it's been put on the banned list since.

I certainly don't trust athletes in general not to abuse any and every potential loophole that appears, and TUEs do present a tempting loophole.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
@coffeejo bandages & plasters aren't on the WADA banned list. Painkillers are an interesting one. There was a bit of a fuss about Tramadol abuse in cycling recently but I can't remember what came of it. I don't think it's been put on the banned list since.
Consider my post along the lines of Froome's response to the suggestion that power meters should be banned :smile:

Top Bottom