cycling jobs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
Just wondering what sort of jobs are out there to get involved in cycling?

In my current job, I earn a solid wage and dont really want to give up a large chunk of salary, but my job bores me and i often think about what it would be like to work within a field that im passionate about.

working in a bike shop probably would pay less than 20k which isnt enough, what other options are out there?

I don't know what it'll pay but a mate of mine has given up his job to become a full time coach and offer retul (fitting). I think with him its more that he gets a buzz from it rather than the money.

The other obvious example is bike courier but you'd have to be managing a firm to make any money.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Id love to work in a bike shop but the pay isnt there. So keep it as your hobby. Join a club and help out at events may be a good way to get more involved.

Shaun

Founder
You could always invest in one of these:

oldcabtrike700[1].jpg

And read about the experience of a rickshaw cabbie, here: http://blog.worldrickshawtaxi.com/ :thumbsup:

As others have said though, unless you own a large retail store or manufacture something, the salary isn't up to much and if you have commitments and responsibilities then the pay cut might take the shine of some of the "doing what you love" fun part. ^_^

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
You could invest in a trike, but be prepared to work harder than you've ever done for low pay.

Fully loaded a Maximus trike will weigh in at about 1/3 of a ton.:ohmy: You will discover hills that you never knew existed :giggle:. Unfortunately electric assistance is not legal in the UK so it's got to be all legwork.

I miss my Maximus.:cry:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Unfortunately electric assistance is not legal in the UK so it's got to be all legwork
]

Why is that?

Is it to do with the weight or the intended use of the vehicle (public hire)? I was sure electric-assist (with stipulated conditions and limits) was permissible for bicycles in the UK.

GC

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I didn't get to do any weddings. I was booked for one but they changed their minds.:sad:

However, events generally were great :thumbsup:, I did 2 prom nights, various shows in Shrewsbury, Worcester, Ludlow and Welshpool, carried the football club mascot round the pitch perimeter for a photoshoot and carried the cameraman for the local news.

Shrewsbury BikeFest was best - 5 hours of pretty much non-stop rides on the cycle circuit at the Sports Village. Bloody hard work but I went home with a big smile.^_^

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeI95c_LaHA&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLZ0l6yk-llV6ElaJRPJ5PevYsOE9SbZkA

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
]

Why is that?

Is it to do with the weight or the intended use of the vehicle (public hire)? I was sure electric-assist (with stipulated conditions and limits) was permissible for bicycles in the UK.

GC
It's the weight. There is a weight limit of 60KG for tricycles with electric assist - beyond that they have to be registered as an electric vehicle. To my knowledge there is only 1 trike that is light enough to comply which is the Maxpro Street Flyer.

Strictly speaking there should not be a problem, but the UK has chosen to ignore EU legislation and has not changed the old weight limit.:dry:

The public hire aspect raises a whole load of other problems: For England and Wales they have to be licensed in the same way as Taxis or Private Hire vehicles which is really difficult to do as each council interprets the law in their own way.

In London the operators found a loophole in that the old stagecoach laws still apply in the city. By meeting a few simple rules they can call themselves stagecoaches and run without a licence (to the annoyance of TfL).

Scottish law is different again. Being unmotorized, they are allowed to operate under a street traders licence.

Edit: corrected weight limit it should be 60 not 65kg

Buzzinonbikes

I know someone who works in B2B sales for a brand. Sure that could be a way in, big companies that sort of thing. Not sure where to start though sorry!

Top Bottom