Cycling just outside London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lonewalker

Got a friend coming over from Australia im meeting them near london for a days cycling .Im coming down from yorkshire and not sure where would be a nice place to ride anyone ? plan to do about 60m

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
London is a big place?
Where do you want to go? north, south, east or west?

PK99

Legendary Member
Got a friend coming over from Australia im meeting them near london for a days cycling .Im coming down from yorkshire and not sure where would be a nice place to ride anyone ? plan to do about 60m

You could do a lot worse that head out to Dorking on the train - a 60 mile loop in the surrey hills would take in some fantastic countryside and pubs - most with very little traffic

OP
OP
lonewalker

lonewalker

High Wycombe looks ok should be easy for me to fine somewhere to stay and also for them to get a train out of london ?

andym

Über Member
High Wycombe looks ok should be easy for me to fine somewhere to stay and also for them to get a train out of london ?

Chiltern Railways from Marylebone. How convenient it is for them depends on where they are staying, as they will need to ride to the station. As someone said, London is a big place.

OP
OP
lonewalker

lonewalker

Been looking now im home from work, and dorking and boxhill look lovely thanks so much ....

ThompsonCrowley

I would recommend the Lea country park cycle route. It goes all the way from London, past Tottenham up to either Hertford or Bishop's Stortford, along the Lea canal. There's quite a few people walking on it, but the further north you go the more paths there are for walkers, leaving you free to pedal at your chosen pace. It'll be quite a leisurely ride though, not the 60 m you had planned. Perhaps you could fill it out with a few pub stops. I think Ware has the highest pub to high street ratio in Britain, or something...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
where in Australia is he from? Lots of people from Sydney or Brisbane think Twickenham Stadium is a pretty exciting place. That's quite reachable from Box Hill and vicinities.

I was thinking you could do with a theme to the ride, or at least a handful of points to visit.

Twickers is a good shout.

Do your companions have any interests?

That would give you ideas of places to visit.

OP
OP
lonewalker

lonewalker

What sort of riding are you and your friend into OP?

(Road bikes) plan is i bring bikes down from Yorkshire, meeting somewhere outside London then with both do about a 60 mile ride with a pub lunch and a chat and catch up then they return back into London...

Top Bottom