Cycling mags; when will I learn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
About twenty years ago, a mag titled 'On Your Bike' hit the shelves. It was aimed specifically at 'ordinary' cyclists; ie., not clubbies, hard nosed mountain bikers etc., just ordinary cyclists. It had a very good content featuring affordable ordinary kit. Sadly, after a couple of years, it folded because of lack of sales. :sad: Why - ? because it didn''t appeal to the obsessed cyclists.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
My other interests are music and astronomy and sometimes buy magazines relating to those interests. But really it's the same there too. A few pages of interesting literature then more fluff and guff advertising trying to sell you cack you dont need. Been that way for some time unfortunately. Not worth the 5 or 6 quid...

MntnMan62

Über Member
How do you manage after 100 miles then, on an excursion which does not include going home every 40 minutes? @YukonBoy 's long rides are probably 1000km+.

I don't. My longest ride since I started riding again this past May after a long hiatus has been 30 miles. I suppose I could probably take two bottles in the bottle cages on my bike and two more in the pockets on the back of my jersey. In this heat, that would last me for about 40 miles. 100 miles? I'd have to stop and find a place to fill those bottles back up again. I suspect that is what most people do. The alternative would be to supplement the two water bottles on the bike with a 3 liter hydration pack which together would last at least 50 miles. But someone who rides that long probably doesn't need as much water as I do. I have found that as I get more and more fit, I can stretch those water bottles out over longer mileage.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Once upon a time the writers in cycling mags were lifelong cyclists who'd been there, done that, got the T shirt. Most now seem to be kids straight from college who happened to pick a cycling magazine to write for because it is the fashionable thing to do. They lack any depth of knowledge, have little idea of the history of the sport and write articles padded out with all the latest buzz words lifted from the sales brochures.

They could just as easily be writing about games consoles or table tennis, and probably will be if either of them become the next "New golf".

mustang1

Guru
Magazines contain adverts.
Magazine reviews are "sponsored" by advertiser's.
They're all just one big advert and the purchaser partly pays for it (as does the advertiser).

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
I like Bicycle Quarterly. Beautifully produced with great photos of gravel/touring rides and that sort of thing. Articles on bicycle history, testing of things like tyre pressures and such. It has genuinly interesting info that's hard or impossible to find elsewhere.

It is expensive though, partly cos you have to have it shipped from the states. A subscription works out at £9 per issue IIRC. Jan Heine puts quite a lot of content on his website so you can see if it's your sort of thing.

A friend of mine and his wife got seriously into cycling four years ago but then went on to horse-riding and golf. A great pity because they used to get Cyclist Magazine every month and pass it on to me when the next one came out. I quite enjoyed reading it except for the repetitive articles about great climbs all over the world. How many different cliches can you use to say a ride was steep and tiring, but coming back down was very fast?

Sharky

Guru
Once upon a time the writers in cycling mags were lifelong cyclists who'd been there, done that, got the T shirt. Most now seem to be kids straight from college who happened to pick a cycling magazine to write for because it is the fashionable thing to do. They lack any depth of knowledge, have little idea of the history of the sport and write articles padded out with all the latest buzz words lifted from the sales brochures.

They could just as easily be writing about games consoles or table tennis, and probably will be if either of them become the next "New golf".
I'd love to see table tennis as the next "New Golf". I've been playing TT almost as long as I have been racing TT's. In my local league, when I started in 1971, there was 9 divisions, but over the years with small industries declining and firms shutting down and TT clubs closing, last year we were down to just 3 divisions. And with the current lockdown restrictions, there will be even less teams taking part in the forthcoming winter season.

Dwn

Most trade magazines are like that; packed with reviews of expensive items that people can't (or won't in some cases) afford to buy. It's about glamour and aspiration with an occasional sop to affordability.

I like to read about these items on occasion, but I never have any intention to buy most of the stuff being reviewed or advertised.

Top Bottom