Cycling mags; when will I learn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Next issue we'll be showing you the correct way to wipe your arse.
Some readers may already know how to do this, but others will appreciate an in depth demonstration.
Many wet-wipe brands will be put to the test to find the ultimate klingon deterrent.

I'm most interested in reading about the various different techniques of arse wiping. Love those articles that really do an in depth analysis and pick apart all the different angles, equipment and trajectories of arse wiping. I'll be standing by my mailbox waiting for that next issue. Can't wait.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I gave Cycling Plus another try for a year as the free gift was a base layer :laugh: Won't be renewing.

haha I did the same for a free Lusso Merino jersey. Actually quite a nice top too.

I tend to find more entertaining articles in my free weekly Bikeradar email on a friday tho than the mag itself.

Next weeks head to head - Butchers bikes tackle the Hovis hill.
I remember a French TV programme a few years ago that showed a race between a village postman who normally rode a heavy bike on his rounds and a professional cyclist. They had to swap bikes for the race, and I am so frustrated that I cannot remember who won.

Edit: Just found it,

View: https://youtu.be/j7SGbHxJ9Y8

Last edited:

avecReynolds531

Veteran
I remember a TV programme a few years ago that showed a race between a village postman who normally rode a heavy bike on his rounds and a professional cyclist. (Italian or French?). They had to swap bikes for the race, and i am so frustrated that I cannot remember who won
Edit: posted before seeing the Rusty Nails edit.

I remember something like this too, & reckon it may be the Philippe Gilbert feature on RTBF? French language Belgian tv - they swapped bikes at some point:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7SGbHxJ9Y8

I also remembered this one from Dutch tv:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN54oOMVrXQ

...but this one is my favourite - Francois/ aka Jacques Tati, overtaking the peloton in the beautiful film Jour de Fete;

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xj4owAPp8k

Last edited:
Next week

The physics of why red bikes go faster. Why helium filled balloon tires are the next secret weapon. Ten of the best water bottles tested.

I have five red bikes. Or bikes that are mostly red... And I'm sloooooooooooooow. :laugh:

Anyways, can't comment on the cycling press as I don't buy cycling mags, but the motorsport press is going pretty well much the same way - glossy, aspirational and with little useful content.

Autosport is a case in point. Used to be a good read with interesting tech articles, all the news, race results and reports, book reviews etc. Mostly printed in black & white with the odd colour shot. Gradually it's become more and more glossy, with more photos and less text, and far less "grass roots" material than there used to be. There was a marked downturn in the quality when they changed publishers from Hazleton to whatever it is now. Speaking from varied experience here, as I bought it religiously every week from the late 80s up until fairly recently, but I was also on their books as a photographer for nearly a decade.

I'll only pick up the odd copy these days if there's something in there that interests me. I'm now much more likely to browse through it in the shop and put it back on the shelf, much like what I used to do back in the day when I was a skint schoolgirl and my pocket money wouldn't quite stretch to a copy.

They tried to double the cover price last year, but that went down like a lead balloon and the the publishers had to back down.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Or a list of cafes that don't give you the extra jug of hot water so you can eke six cups from one tea bag. The robdogs.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm most interested in reading about the various different techniques of arse wiping. Love those articles that really do an in depth analysis and pick apart all the different angles, equipment and trajectories of arse wiping. I'll be standing by my mailbox waiting for that next issue. Can't wait.
Have you tried "frosting a rock" of late.

When I was working in the UK, many moons ago, a girl in my office came in one day with a magazine dedicated to soaps, ie Corrie etc.
I also recall one dedicated to mobile phones/pagers - I'm sure there are many publications for this now.
I did used to get a monthly mag on scuba diving, nice to read I guess, but that hobby has long gone for me.
As for cycling, any old klunker will do me. Speed - just enough to stop from falling over. I'm obviously not the targeted audience :laugh:

I'd like to see an article questioning the effectiveness of helmets and pointing out that the head injury problem didn't exist till they were invented.
"Cold day in hell" springs to mind. There seems to be a journalist union rule about this.

This sort of dishonesty adds up to my negative view of the profession in general :-(

( A writer in Cyclist did once make a risky reference to The Company Line during a ride report - reading between the lines, he wasn't keen on the mag insisting on helmets for all photos and articles.)

Last edited:

Johnno260

Veteran
My wife brought me a subscription to a cycling mag, it was a nice gesture and I thanked her but also told her to look at the prices inside haha.

If I need shoes I get what’s in my budget and more importantly what’s comfortable, same with all my kit really, I buy things out of season so it’s cheaper and it’s usually a few seasons out of date as well.

Top Bottom