Cycling maps for Vista Hcx

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

looe

Hi,
been browsing the net for a week now looking for the best maps for my Garmin etrex Vista Hcx but I am still confused.... and getting even more confused day by day.
Free vs bought maps........... seem that free maps are a hassle to download.....lot of choices of bought maps, but which one...... even Garmin City map Europe come in different editions and price..........
So, which one is the best to go for ?????????????
Please help........

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I use the OpenCycleMaps version (not perfect but none are) on an SD card which I bought from http://shop.opencyclemap.org/

PpPete

Legendary Member
looe said:
Hi,
been browsing the net for a week now looking for the best maps for my Garmin etrex Vista Hcx but I am still confused.... and getting even more confused day by day.
Free vs bought maps........... seem that free maps are a hassle to download.....lot of choices of bought maps, but which one...... even Garmin City map Europe come in different editions and price..........
So, which one is the best to go for ?????????????
Please help........

Free OSM maps are NOT hassle to download to an Etrex
Pop on over to YACF - GPS forum -Free maps for Garmin thread. Look for Andy Gates. His "Munky" maps are brilliant.

1. Download the latest GMAPSUPP.IMG from Andy's site.
  2. Unzip it and put it on your SD card in a folder called Garmin.
  3. Robert is your mother's brother.
Granted, getting the "tiles" into Mapsource is slightly more complex, but not unduly so (unless you're a numpty like me)

You can create tracks on bikehike or bikeroutetoaster, download them as GPX - then you can use Mapsource to transfer them to the device even if you only have the "basemap" in Mapsource.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:hyper: ** numpty alert ** :bravo:

PP, I have loaded the 'Andygates specials' onto my Vista HCx, made a route in Bike Route Toaster, downloaded it to my Vista - yet can't find the route anywhere there ! :sad:

Any idea what I am doing wrong ? Where do I need to go on the Vista to find it ?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
looe said:
Can this be used with only basemap on the Garmin ? Look good though
yep, that's what I do. Basically they have reverse engineered a 'mapsource' format map and put it on a card.. you stick the SD card in, switch on and off you go. decent mapping with cycling relevant specific info.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
scoosh said:
:rolleyes: ** numpty alert ** :rolleyes:

PP, I have loaded the 'Andygates specials' onto my Vista HCx, made a route in Bike Route Toaster, downloaded it to my Vista - yet can't find the route anywhere there ! :angry:

Any idea what I am doing wrong ? Where do I need to go on the Vista to find it ?

You've got to use a program to put a gpx onto a Garmin so that it can be used.
It's got to go into the internal memory, not onto the SD card.

Mapsource, Trip & Waypoint Manager, memory map, or there are assorted open source programs that I've never bothered to investigate

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
andrew_s said:
You've got to use a program to put a gpx onto a Garmin so that it can be used.
It's got to go into the internal memory, not onto the SD card.

Mapsource, Trip & Waypoint Manager, memory map, or there are assorted open source programs that I've never bothered to investigate

any web based map can do it too if you've the garmin browser plug in loaded up. Bikehike does a fine job over USB.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
We've spent a piddling £70 or so at Amazon for street-level maps for the entirety of Western Europe. Unlike OSM (where our street, and most of the streets around us don't exist) I'm pretty confident the mapping is pretty complete.

It doesn't have topography, but I've got bikehike or paper maps (OS or French Top 100) for that. The online mapping systems just don't work with the Etrex - their routes have one point for each wiggle in the road. You want one point for each couple of miles. We've succesfully used bikehike or the paper maps to concoct a reasonable route, and transferred it to the Garmin software (piece of cake) to transfer to the Etrex.

And the connections between the Garmin software and the Etrex just work.

OP
OP
looe

looe

srw said:
We've spent a piddling £70 or so at Amazon for street-level maps for the entirety of Western Europe. Unlike OSM (where our street, and most of the streets around us don't exist) I'm pretty confident the mapping is pretty complete.

It doesn't have topography, but I've got bikehike or paper maps (OS or French Top 100) for that. The online mapping systems just don't work with the Etrex - their routes have one point for each wiggle in the road. You want one point for each couple of miles. We've succesfully used bikehike or the paper maps to concoct a reasonable route, and transferred it to the Garmin software (piece of cake) to transfer to the Etrex.

Are your maps Garmin City Navigator ? Which Garmin software are you using? Sorry but I am not very good in this GPS malaki

PpPete

Legendary Member
srw said:
We've spent a piddling £70 or so at Amazon for street-level maps for the entirety of Western Europe.

Er... £70 is not a piddling sum for some of us at the moment.

srw said:
Unlike OSM (where our street, and most of the streets around us don't exist) I'm pretty confident the mapping is pretty complete.

If the Garmin maps happen to be out of date - tough, wait for a year and hope the next time you buy they have updated it.

If the streets in your area are not on OSM, don't moan about it, get out there with your GPS and map them, it really isnt difficult. When you download the next weekly update your work will appear !

srw said:
We've succesfully used bikehike or the paper maps to concoct a reasonable route, and transferred it to the Garmin software (piece of cake) to transfer to the Etrex.

Pretty much what I was recommending to the OP - assuming he had latest versions as its a recent purchase, but previous versions of Mapsource were so horribly bug-laden this used to be almost impossible at times.

Top Bottom