Cycling maps for Vista Hcx

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
porkypete said:
If the streets in your area are not on OSM, don't moan about it, get out there with your GPS and map them, it really isnt difficult. When you download the next weekly update your work will appear !

You misunderstand. If I know that my local area is pretty unreliable, I suspect that any other area I'm interested in is also pretty unreliable. Which is no good. If it's to be any good to me, I need to have confidence that a map is reliable in every area it covers.

OSM is a bit like wikipedia. Nice idea, but only really any good for getting a general idea of something, and needing confirmation by an authoritative source.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
srw said:
The online mapping systems just don't work with the Etrex - their routes have one point for each wiggle in the road. You want one point for each couple of miles.

err, what is bikehike if it isn't an online mapping system? (Bike hike uses Googlemaps, OSM and OS maps for the UK)

Bikehike transfers direct to the GPS, without loading the route in any other mapping software, using the Garmin browser plug-in which is free. Bikehike can also automatically reduce the number of points for you automatically doing away with the one per wiggle problem.

a mate of mine won't use OSM/OCM on the basis that "My street isn't on the map so it can't be accurate" to which I always reply "I don't need a map to find my street". Even OS maps are inaccurate, sometime through error, sometimes deliberately, sometimes simply because of the nature of map drawing. No map, imo, is ever authorative, they are out of date before they are printed after all, and are only ever representations of reality.

anyway I'mm off to ride my bike...

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think £70 is a grotesquely large amount of money but others with more are welcome to buy it if that's what they want. Sure OSM has bits missing but the missing bits are a lot more variable than people might imagine.

It does different things. I'm out in an unfamiliar area and the need for a cashpoint or cafe arises? No problem. I want NCN routes clearly displayed (I don't), get the cycle version no problem, even has cycle parking on. OSM was laughed at a couple of years ago as it was a bit basic, these days it's not too bad. I've discovered some things I needed to know off OSM faster than any other map source. Combined with other things like streetview and optical pictures it's pretty powerful.

If OS has gone free then I'm sure that'd rule supreme. Without that OSM is pretty good.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
GregCollins said:
err, what is bikehike if it isn't an online mapping system? (Bike hike uses Googlemaps, OSM and OS maps for the UK)

Bikehike transfers direct to the GPS, without loading the route in any other mapping software, using the Garmin browser plug-in which is free. Bikehike can also automatically reduce the number of points for you automatically doing away with the one per wiggle problem.

Well. What do you know? It does. I didn't know that.

But it is only a UK system. My £70 covers the entirety of Western Europe. It's also only an online system. Out on the road, that £70 will only buy a few months of online access.

You might like to look at my previous reply to understand why I think OSM is always going to be sub-optimal.

srw said:
Well. What do you know? It does. I didn't know that.

But it is only a UK system. My £70 covers the entirety of Western Europe. It's also only an online system. Out on the road, that £70 will only buy a few months of online access.

You might like to look at my previous reply to understand why I think OSM is always going to be sub-optimal.

+1

in the five years I have been using navigator I consider it to be a bargain

Top Bottom