"Cycling Mikey" loses court case.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
but, I don’t see the need to confront people.

I can see both sides to this.

On the one hand there's an almost instinctive dislike of a "grass" and people who presume an authoritative stance and there's no doubting that Mikey fires that up in some.

He absolutely has the right to hide in the bushes and record rule breaking drivers.
The question of whether he has the right to then block them and make them go the legal way is, to my mind, the tricky proposition.

On the other hand a silent, invisible recording distances the driver (and the punishment) from the crime.
How does that work? They get a fine in the post?

By confronting the driver they make the connection between crime and punishment and I'd imagine the drivers are far more likely to modify their behaviour in future after such a confrontation rather than receiving a fine in the post some months later when they can't recall the incident.

He might well have the same level of success by simply recording the illegal activity then holding up a sign saying "you've been caught" as they drive past.

As for the argument that he's a coward? I can't understand that at all. Standing in front of a car with an unknown driver (and possibly passengers) is a pretty brave thing to do in my book.
I could understand "foolish" or "entitled" or other perjorative terms but cowardly it isn't.

On the one hand there's an almost instinctive dislike of a "grass"

I think it's instinctive for SOME people!

T4tomo

Legendary Member

On the one hand there's an almost instinctive dislike of a "grass" and people who presume an authoritative stance and there's no doubting that Mikey fires that up in some.

He absolutely has the right to hide in the bushes and record rule breaking drivers.
The question of whether he has the right to then block them and make them go the legal way is, to my mind, the tricky proposition.

On the other hand a silent, invisible recording distances the driver (and the punishment) from the crime.

By confronting the driver they make the connection between crime and punishment and I'd imagine the drivers are far more likely to modify their behaviour in future after such a confrontation rather than receiving a fine in the post some months later when they can't recall the incident.

He might well have the same level of success by simply recording the illegal activity then holding up a sign saying "you've been caught" as they drive past.

As for the argument that he's a coward? I can't understand that at all. Standing in front of a car with an unknown driver (and possibly passengers) is a pretty brave thing to do in my book.
I could understand "foolish" or "entitled" or other perjorative terms but cowardly it isn't.

Pretty much my view on him too. I think the confrontation is more for 'mikey's benefit, maybe helps him get over his father's death in someway.

classic33

Leg End Member
But you are presumed to be innocent under the law. You cannot be say

Yes but Innocent does not come up in a court. But not guilty does. The defence has to prove nothing. The prosecution failed to prove their case here . Whether he is innocent or not is immaterial. He is not guilty. He may be as guilty as sin. But the defence has to prove it.
If they have nothing to prove, why do they have to prove him guilty?

Summat not right there.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Rightly or wrongly, that is how most motoring offences are policed, present day, in the UK.

Yes, the fine in the post scenario has very little "education" benefit. There's been research on similar things, see Freakanomics; it just becomes a payment drivers can make if they want special status 🤦‍♀️

IMO it's completely reasonable to block a law-breaking driver - although I get why in some minds, this is a step over the line.

Let's consider littering:
in my view, totally reasonable to ask someone to pick something up. But I know that some will kick off and tell you where to shove it (even though they are breaking the law, not you!)

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
GoPro have got a lot to answer for.

I see the advent of citizen cameras as a good thing. I am sure police cuts would have taken place with or without them. However, I think it takes the likes of Mikey to actually get some reaction from the police. My submissions of dangerous close passes and dangerous driving get hardly any reaction from the local plod as there is not thousands of people looking at them and 'good' police officers monitoring my output. So much so, I have given up recording.

I see the advent of citizen cameras as a good thing. I am sure police cuts would have taken place with or without them. However, I think it takes the likes of Mikey to actually get some reaction from the police. My submissions of dangerous close passes and dangerous driving get hardly any reaction from the local plod as there is not thousands of people looking at them and 'good' police officers monitoring my output. So much so, I have given up recording.

Bit of a post code lottery most likely but my last submission resulted in the driver being prosecuted for a dangerous close pass.

Yes, the fine in the post scenario has very little "education" benefit. There's been research on similar things, see Freakanomics; it just becomes a payment drivers can make if they want special status 🤦‍♀️

IMO it's completely reasonable to block a law-breaking driver - although I get why in some minds, this is a step over the line.

Let's consider littering:
in my view, totally reasonable to ask someone to pick something up. But I know that some will kick off and tell you where to shove it (even though they are breaking the law, not you!)

You genuinely think of this Mikey character as an 'educator '?

FFS he's nothing more than an egotistical pr*ck with too much time on his hands and out to make a name for himself.

I bet you've got a laminated A4 picture of him under your pillow.

Pretty much my view on him too. I think the confrontation is more for 'mikey's benefit, maybe helps him get over his father's death in someway.

I mean no disrespect but I'm not a fan of attributing motivations to someone.

When we do that it is very difficult to assess their actions without applying that bias.

Mikey's Dutch. I lived there for a long time and the Dutch can be very, very direct in their communication.
There is also a marked difference in the amount of personal space people instinctively give to each other there. What would be considered rude or even provocative in these islands is far more normalised there.

Top Bottom