"Cycling Mikey" loses court case.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastpedaller

But blocking the road is technically another crime, and I was always taught that two wrongs don't make a right.

But is it? He's not blocking the route of a vehicle using the road correctly (the offender's vehicle is doing that). If he was taking away a knife from an offender about to stab a victim would he be committing an offence? Removing their right to commit an offence is surely a good thing!

figbat

Slippery scientist
But is it? He's not blocking the route of a vehicle using the road correctly (the offender's vehicle is doing that). If he was taking away a knife from an offender about to stab a victim would he be committing an offence? Removing their right to commit an offence is surely a good thing!

But the whole time he’s arguing the toss with the ‘offender’ the road is blocked for those who wish to use it legally. Indeed in many videos we see cyclists ride past the blockage on the pavement - with no hint of being reprimanded or reported.

winjim

Smash the cistern
But the whole time he’s arguing the toss with the ‘offender’ the road is blocked for those who wish to use it legally. Indeed in many videos we see cyclists ride past the blockage on the pavement - with no hint of being reprimanded or reported.

He wags his finger at errant cyclists all the time, he just doesn't consider it safe or proportionate to start leaping out in front of them.

Reactions: ACF

Alex321

Veteran

He is causing an obstruction. If he didn't stop the vehicles using it illegally, they would have moved on, and anybody attempting to use it legally would be able to do so.

It is a bit of a grey area, and I suspect the CPS would decide "not in the public interest" to prosecute, but I do believe that technically he is committing a crime as well.

He is causing an obstruction. If he didn't stop the vehicles using it illegally, they would have moved on, and anybody attempting to use it legally would be able to do so.

It is a bit of a grey area, and I suspect the CPS would decide "not in the public interest" to prosecute, but I do believe that technically he is committing a crime as well.

If that's your idea of "Two wrongs don't make a right", I'd love to hear some other examples!

Alex321

Veteran
If that's your idea of "Two wrongs don't make a right", I'd love to hear some other examples!

Any situation where person A does something wrong, and person B does something else which is wrong (even if less serious) in response.

Blocking the road is technically illegal, regardless of whether the person being blocked was driving legally (and even then, he is also blocking it for anybody wanting to come the other way)..

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
and even then, he is also blocking it for anybody wanting to come the other way
As was the errant vehicle, the driver of which was simply lucky that nobody was coming round the corner expecting only to have conflicting traffic coming from their right, not from their left.

Oooooh, that'll show them.

Not sure what else he can do - or what I can do
chasing after them and

well - then what
tackling them to the ground and performing a citizen's arrest would not be appropriate for riding on a pavement

I suppose he could try to isolate their faces and put up a "'Rogue's Gallery" type thing but the chances of getting the mug shot would be low so very little to be gained
and also very litlle good to be achieved as cyclist cause so few injuries to others compared to cars

Anyway I think he believes he is doing something for the good of society and causes little problem for the innocent
maybe a little delay for proper motorists at times

I think he takes it too far but he does make his presence known!

boydj

Legendary Member
1. What these wrong-side drivers are doing is extremely dangerous for the many pedstrians using that corner who would not be expecting a car appearing in that direction.

2. The police are very supportive - there is one video I remember where a couple of afficers appeared as one driver was out of his car and starting to kick off. The driver was invited to reverse up the road to park up so the officers could 'have a word'.

Not sure what else he can do - or what I can do
chasing after them and

well - then what
tackling them to the ground and performing a citizen's arrest would not be appropriate for riding on a pavement

I suppose he could try to isolate their faces and put up a "'Rogue's Gallery" type thing but the chances of getting the mug shot would be low so very little to be gained
and also very litlle good to be achieved as cyclist cause so few injuries to others compared to cars

Anyway I think he believes he is doing something for the good of society and causes little problem for the innocent
maybe a little delay for proper motorists at times

I think he takes it too far but he does make his presence known!

My comment was not meant to be taken entirely seriously. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
1. What these wrong-side drivers are doing is extremely dangerous for the many pedstrians using that corner who would not be expecting a car appearing in that direction.

2. The police are very supportive - there is one video I remember where a couple of afficers appeared as one driver was out of his car and starting to kick off. The driver was invited to reverse up the road to park up so the officers could 'have a word'.

I recall another one where a bloke was going off on one, then when the Police turned up changed his manner totally, still didn’t stop one constable dragging the idiot up the road to point out the keep left sign, ended up getting a prosecution, you would think the locals would know the score at Gandalf Corner and obey the rules of the road

D

Deleted member 26715

Why is he called Cycling Mikey, no bikes were involved?

Top Bottom