Cycling no handed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I watched a rider on TV yesterday riding no handed while he put on, then later took off his waterproof coat. It reminded me that I can't ride no handed. When I was a kid I rode miles without touching the handlebars but now a few feet is the best I can manage. I wonder if having forks with comparitively little rake or caster angle make a difference. I can ride a unicycle though.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
When i got my bike new it was a lot easier to ride no handed than my previous bike and i could cycle no handed for minutes at a time and was getting used to some gentle corners. Recently ive not been able to, im not sure if its new tyres/mudguards/saddle, different setup on the bike or parts getting knackered.

Not sure its entirely a great idea though, nearly went for an unexpected lie down on the concrete when trying to put gloves on after id started my bike ride last year. :ohmy:

You don't perceive danger in the same way as a kid do you? I was the same, went everywhere non handed or on my back wheel, and although I can still ride non handed I only do it on rare occasions if I've been riding ages and want to stretch my back out. Even then though I'm always wary.

FWIW when I first got a road bike I couldn't even take one hand off to reach for a water bottle without slowing to an almost standstill, it felt so twitchy after riding MTB's for years!

Manonabike

Über Member
I watched a rider on TV yesterday riding no handed while he put on, then later took off his waterproof coat. It reminded me that I can't ride no handed. When I was a kid I rode miles without touching the handlebars but now a few feet is the best I can manage. I wonder if having forks with comparitively little rake or caster angle make a difference. I can ride a unicycle though.

Yep, it does. Read under Trail

I can ride no hands for some distance but I'm too scare to do anything other that just ride :blush:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I can ride most bikes no-handed, except for my Brompton.
My steel tourer can develop a bit of shimmy at 20 mph though, so I tend not to on that...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I could remove a jacket while I rode, I probably still can but old bones are more fragile so I don't. The trick to riding hands off is to sit with a straight back and look well ahead, not down at the front wheel.

Reactions: gaz

Brandane

Legendary Member
I will be 50 next month but I can still "go no hands" ^_^. Secteur and Tricross are no problem at all, I can even go round corners as long as they're not too sharp and the road surface isn't like the moon (that cuts it down a lot around here). The Trek MTB used to get a bit of a tank slapper going (that's what they call it on a motorbike anyway; when the bars start to shake from side to side) when you let go of the bars, but after I tightened the headset it was fine for no-hands too.

I could remove a jacket while I rode, I probably still can but old bones are more fragile so I don't. The trick to riding hands off is to sit with a straight back and look well ahead, not down at the front wheel.
+1
When I switch between roadie and MTB in Autumn/winter then Winter/Spring I find it can take quite a few miles until I am comfy with no hands..

defy-one

Always could as a teenager on my 10 speed racer, even corners were fine. Had it down to a fine art after spending so much time in the saddle. This Rock MTB - no chance on knobblies , but we'll try again with city jets I fitted today

Top Bottom