Cycling on a shoestring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Check out if your local authority do any kind of cycling scheme.

My local authority do a scheme that provides cut price bikes andaccessories, bikeability training and cut price bike maintenance courses.

I did the bike maintenance course which was a revelation to me and i can now do lits of tweaks and snall jobs on my bike though I do still use the bike shop for some jobs.

+!

We have a centre in Gosport that has a range of second hand parts, often in good nick at a fraction of the price of new

Katherine

Guru
My Aldi cycling shoes fell apart within a month. That's all I can usefully add.
My Aldi winter trousers and base layer top and tights are on their 3rd winter.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Who ever said you save money by cycling was lying.
oh i dunno... i spent £300 on a bike 15 years ago, since then I've spent say £300 on replacement cranksets, tyres, seats, inner tubes, cables, brake blocks and £200 on wheels. If I'd spent £800 on a car, how much would i have spent on maintenance, VED, fuel, insurance, etc. over the same 15 year period??? I ended up getting the bus to work the other day. That cost £4.75 and i still had to walk a mile from the bus stop to the office. Just one year of using the bus instead of the bike would cost me £768.00 in weekly bus passes.

Last edited:

PedalCat

I like sandwiches
Regarding my admittedly short work commute and Asda trips etc, I have, as back-up bikes, a Dawes Discovery 201 which needs approx £50 in parts and labour to make it as it should be, and a Carrera Vulcan that I only had to give a new pair of brake blocks. I got both through Ebay for a total of £65. Current full-whack RRP probably £600.
It can be done with relative ease.

e-rider

crappy member
Hi, This is a very open question but I'm interested in some opinions......

I know there are loads of different reasons for cycling and it's likely that most people have multiple reasons. My initial reason was to try to save money, getting rid of the car and commuting daily. Apologies if there's a similar thread I missed but I would love to hear people's tips on doing things cheaply, running a bike, looking after it, changing components etc. What will you save on or do without? What do you refuse to cut corners on? Is there anything in particular you spend more on because it lasts much longer than cheaper alternatives?

Matt
of course cycling is cheaper than running a car, however, cycling isn't as cheap as many people think. I ride for recreation and clock up many miles (400-500/month) mainly because I have plenty of time on my hands being long-term unemployed. BUT, even though I had all the gear required before becoming jobless to keep the bikes going on an almost zero budget is near impossible!

Buy a good baselayer for winter and never buy cheapo tyres.

of course cycling is cheaper than running a car, however, cycling isn't as cheap as many people think.

I'm lazy and I like a lie-in. Zone 4 to Zone 1 in London used to be £130 a month, I think it's about £160 now, so I cycled. I saved loads of money, knew exactly what time I'd arrive and always got a seat and NEVER had to sit next to Mr Garlic For Breakfast or Mrs Farty Knickers. I'd service the bike regularly, new tyres, brake blocks, even the drive train every so often, and I was still quids in.

OP
OP
M

MattDB

Über Member
of course cycling is cheaper than running a car, however, cycling isn't as cheap as many people think. I ride for recreation and clock up many miles (400-500/month) mainly because I have plenty of time on my hands being long-term unemployed. BUT, even though I had all the gear required before becoming jobless to keep the bikes going on an almost zero budget is near impossible!

Buy a good baselayer for winter and never buy cheapo tyres.

Agree!

Great comments here!

Initially I bought an old ten speed racer but it was too small. I moved on to a 30 year old 3spd Raleigh - this was beautiful but needs the bottom bracket serviced badly and cotter pins are completely stuck.

I bought a Felt F95 - I'd have gone second hand again but I'm just not sure what I'm looking for. My first lot of tyres have had it after 600 miles but other than that I haven't needed to change anything. The expensive bit has been buying all the bits and pieces I needed to make cycling in the winter bearable - mudguards, phone holder (horrible getting lost in the dark!), lock, lights, comfy helmet, reflective gear (after 2 near misses!). I'm using some sale-reduced Altura kit that's been going for 8 years now. Cheap gloves are a bit rubbish tbh!

Although work do a cycle to work scheme they also do a reduced public transport scheme for £45 per month. Which is very tempting on these cold wet mornings! Bus rides do nothing for one's calves and thighs though :smile:

StuartG

slower but further
My Aldi cycling shoes fell apart within a month. That's all I can usefully add.
Mine have done over 15,000 miles in 4 years. Almost as good as new. Just won't wear out which is annoying 'cos I was lusting after something flashier.

For one extravagance treat yourself to a nice track pump. It makes pumping to 100psi or whatever trivial and keeping them at that level will reduce punctures and speed you on your way.

Feastie

Über Member
I feel like a heathen for posting this, but I bought a cheapish second hand bike (£100) and all I've done is replace both tyres (£60) and buy a few inner tubes (£30ish), plus some decent lights (£30). Already had a helmet & D-lock, and at one point I got some WD40 for the chain.

So for about £200 I've been cycling around for 3 years and avoiding the tube/buses except for long journeys and truly foul weather. Never replaced the gears, brakes, blah blah or done any of the maintenance described above, I just tolerate all its eccentricities, provided it runs. Maybe I've just been lucky and my bike is due to disintegrate into a heap at some point soon, but if you've not got very high standards for your bike beyond just wanting it to get you from A to B, you don't need to splash loads of cash on it.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Never replaced the gears, brakes, blah blah or done any of the maintenance described above, I just tolerate all its eccentricities, provided it runs. Maybe I've just been lucky and my bike is due to disintegrate into a heap at some point soon, but if you've not got very high standards for your bike beyond just wanting it to get you from A to B, you don't need to splash loads of cash on it.

For years I rode an old Muddy Fox MTB to work, and- because of the distance I did- it did need some work, but really very little. It was only ever maintained enough to keep it running and safe, I didn't worry about non-important bits getting dirty. I allowed the drivetrain to wear, it lasted a good few years before it needed replacement (although when it was required I had to change the lot- cassette, rings and chain).

I got a bit more fussy since cycling forums were invented and I've been able to compare notes with other cyclists, but I've now gone back to this approach for my everyday bike.

Top Bottom