cycling on canal towpath encounter with dog walker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

matt butler

thanks for all the replies...seems a good site this...
on a seperate note .
was in a cycling lane 2 years ago when a car crossed my path on a red light at some lights...
I went over the handle bars and broke my collar bone....landed on the road hard and my head impacted
the tarmac with a real thud....fortunately I had bought my first ever helmet that morning ...( phew )...saved my bacon.
I had a witness directly behind the offending car and she stated that of the 2 people in the car, it was the girl that was driving.
the police interviewed the girl and lad and decided to prosecute the lad.
it went to majistrates court and the case was dismissed due to doubts over who was driving.
my witness was totally adamant that the girl was driving so why the police put the lad in
the dock is a mystery to me.
so thats another bad driver back on the road.
my advice to anyone is...NEVER GO OUT WITHOUT A HELMET...and get a couple of witnesses at least if you are in a fit state to do so.
I took out a civil action ...they offered me £3,750...which I refused....then £5,000 which I refused and instructed my solicitor to ask for £7,500 or we would sort it out in court.
they gave me £7,500 within a week or so.

hope this might help someone reading this if they have the misfortune to be in an accident.

Norm

on a seperate note ...
my advice to anyone is...NEVER GO OUT WITHOUT A HELMET...
That is not only a separate note but a whole separate section of the forum. Can I ask that any responses to the above are limited to the circumstances of the accident and the well-handled civil action and the comments about the helmet are left alone or picked up in the Helmet Debates sub-forum. Thanks :thumbsup:

400bhp

Guru
Exactly why I never go on any form of cycling infrastructure. I'd rather ride on a dual carriage way than share a canal path with idiotic dog owners and be subjected to a 5mph speed limit.

Yeah, that makes sense...:wacko:

400bhp

Guru
That is not only a separate note but a whole separate section of the forum. Can I ask that any responses to the above are limited to the circumstances of the accident and the well-handled civil action and the comments about the helmet are left alone or picked up in the Helmet Debates sub-forum. Thanks :thumbsup:

Please please please follow this and go over to the MassDebate forum.:whistle:

sidevalve

Über Member
Get off your bike and give him a Glasgow kiss
Are you serious ?!! The guy had two large dogs, under the circumstances I suspect they would have gone mental if you had attacked their owner. Further, verbal crap is one thing, actual physical assault is another and if the dogs had " defended" master you would be the instigator and may well be placed in the wrong in any court case. Dog chases cyclist is one thing, dog defending its owner being attacked by cyclist is another.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I always ignore or placate with a shoot-eating grin, happy in the knowledge that a strangers ignorance is unworthy of spoiling my day.

Life is too good to waste making a point.

Seriously though, making trip wires in a public place? What a plum, think how badly he must handle other simple tasks.

Next time slow down so you are doing 5mph if you see him. If you have to stop and he comments again just tell him you're doing 0mph thanks to his dogs and hand him a copy of the Greenway Code with the bit about dogs and leads highlighted.

The Greenway Code for Towpaths

Share the space
consider other people and the local environment whenever you’re on a Greenway. Remember some people may move less predictably, for example young children or those with visual or mobility impairments.

Drop your pace
considerate sharing of the limited towpath space is the key. Jogging and cycling are welcome, but drop your pace in good time and let people know you are approaching by ringing a bell or politely calling out before waiting to pass slowly.

Pedestrians have priority
towpaths are ‘Greenways’ or shared use routes where pedestrians have priority and vehicles are generally excluded.

Be courteous to others – A smile can go a long way. Abusive or threatening behaviour is not acceptable and should be reported to the Police.

Follow signs
they are there for the safety of everyone. Cyclists should dismount where required and use common sense in busy or restricted areas, recognising that pedestrians have priority.

Give way to oncoming people beneath bridges
whether they are on foot or bike and be extra careful at bends and entrances where visibility is limited.

When travelling in large groups,
especially if you are running or cycling, please use common sense and give way to others.

Try to avoid wearing headphones
as this makes you less aware of your surroundings possible hazards and others sharing the same space.

Keep dogs on a short lead
and clean-up after them. Dog fouling is very unpleasant and is a health hazard.

At all times, keep children close to you
and encourage them to learn and follow the Greenway Code for Towpaths.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Well i was cornered by two horrible guard dogs near to a scrapyard on the 1st of July. I phoned the police as soon as i got home. The receptionist was very sympathetic on the phone, asking me what time i'd be in the following day so that i'd get a visit from the plod to take more details. Two months later i'm still waiting for the visit!:headshake:

MarkF

Guru
Towpaths can be a minefield of social etiquette. I use them daily, when I'm walking I get peed off with having to move to the side for cyclists, when I am cycling I get peed of with asking walkers to move, especially ones wearing headphones. It's a shared facility and best, IMO, to abide by the rules and regulations, as petty, pointless and annoying as some may seem, how difficult is "cyclists please dismount" to understand or comply with? Yet a good % will ride across the busy bridge rather than push for 45 seconds, there is a payback of course..............

When you meet the guy again, ride at 5mph, talk to him politely and I am sure that there will be no further problems. :smile:

Top Bottom