Cycling on Ice - what is the technique?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Nutters cycling on ice as promised

J4CKO

Mr Pig said:
Which translate means, "Are you a complete moron?"

There's nothing big or clever about cycling on ice, it's just plain daft. Hit a smooth patch of ice and your chances of staying on the bike are remote. Then you've got to consider how much you would prefer to go through Christmas without a broken hip/wrist/arm...

They do say similar things the minute the temp drops below 14c, when it goes dark before 8pm, when it rains etc etc.

The roads were not completely ice covered, its just a case of picking your way through it, taking your time, we take risks every time we get on a bike, Mountain bikes career down hills, we can fall off and or be hit at any time whatever the weather, if you treated cycling based purely on risk you would never do it and go everywhere in a massive off roader.

The walk from the bike sheds was the most treacherous bit in cycling shoes.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
User3143 said:
Usually you can see ice so have your feet ready if you feel the bike come from underneath you.
Round our way you'd have no chance - walking home last night it was impossible to tell what was wet road and what sent you skidding and scrabbling as your boots desperately tried to find purchase again.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
John the Monkey said:
Round our way you'd have no chance - walking home last night it was impossible to tell what was wet road and what sent you skidding and scrabbling as your boots desperately tried to find purchase again.

That was what almost shredded my nerves on the way home last night. Couldn't tell which was which until it was too late !

And this 'foot down' stuff - if it's icy enough to make the bike slide away from under you, your foot will just slip away from under you when you put it down. I found that out the painful way ;)

I was lucky to have cycled through winter 2006/2007 without coming off on ice; last year was a painful and expensive lesson on avoiding icy cycles, and the other day was a reminder that it's really not worth the risk and a few days off won't matter in the grand scheme of things.

LondonCommuter

Wish I'd had the benefit of this on may way in this morning. I was getting closer to central London and thought I'd avoided the ice when I learnt the hard way what NOT to do. Still fuming from a car going in the opposite direction turning right across me, I turned left after it, hit icy cobbles as I braked, both wheels locked, I was leaning too far in and fell onto my side. 2 small cuts on pelvis and elbow and probably a bit stiff tomorrow but nothing too bad thankfully. Clips probably helped as I'd have probably twisted my ankle and done more damage if my foot hadn't been locked in.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
goo_mason said:
And this 'foot down' stuff - if it's icy enough to make the bike slide away from under you, your foot will just slip away from under you when you put it down. I found that out the painful way ;)

This is because you lack Lee's skillz.

alp1950

palinurus said:
Nutters cycling on ice as promised

Nice link- see you can cycle on ice. Were they using studded tyres?

Anyhow having read this thread & a similar previous I'm quite glad I left the bike at home today.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
alp1950 said:
Nice link- see you can cycle on ice. Were they using studded tyres?

Anyhow having read this thread & a similar previous I'm quite glad I left the bike at home today.

I've no idea whether they were using studded tyres. Maybe I'll ask the question.

I'm glad I rode in today, it was cold but didn't appear to be especially icy (SE). Took it easy on the way home, it's more difficult in the dark to work out what the surface is like.

palinurus said:
I'm glad I rode in today, it was cold but didn't appear to be especially icy (SE). Took it easy on the way home, it's more difficult in the dark to work out what the surface is like.
It was very icy here in the morning and I was thinking it'd be worse when I cycled home in the dark at night, well that's my excuse for going slow. It wasn't icy ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll be opting for 1600 kg (plus my 78kg's) or so and 215mm tyres tomorrow - all 4 of them....

It's just too wet at the moment - no breeze to dry the roads....yeh main roads are OK, but move slightly out of the traffic line...then you'll be off.

I used to ride 20 miles to work when in my 20's in the freezing cold - was fine, all on country lanes....rough surfaces, just frost, no bad ice... the problems come with the smooth surfaced roads.... condensation just collects and it freezes.... nasty.

I experienced a really freak weather event when cycling to work in my 20's... Had been cold and damp, but the temps took a big fall at 5-6am..... cars had dew on them, but the roads were like sheet ice - I should have turned back when my rear wheel felt odd..... needless to say, I came off big style 3 times..... got into work rather battered and bruised. Our Financial Director, in his 40's cycled to the end of his road, on the way to the station, and slipped off - no speed, cue badly broken leg, months off work, lots off complications......

My young age saved me - bounced rather well....don't think I'd bounce as well now aged nearly 39....

TBH, when racing the philosophy was...don't risk the season for some silly ride....same really goes if you are a commuter..... a few days off the bike never hurt anyone...a split second off might !

Top Bottom