Cycling on 'N' Roads in spain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gradders

Regular
Hi, I'm also piggy backing on to this thread as I'm currently committed to cycle solo from bilbao to Malaga, finishing in a place called Mjias, next May 2020 and desperately keen to get some recommendations on routes, accommodation and general advice? Looking to also find a keen cyclist to join me either all of part of the way? I'm mad keen road cyclist from the lake district; however, completely new to cycle touring... Any help will be appreciated.

Gradders

Regular
Hi All, sorry to piggy-back on this thread, but it has relevance to my forthcoming adventure... I intend to cycle from Bilbao to Frigiliana (near Nerja) and I have no experience at all of cycling in Spain. Has anyone done a North-South tour of Spain? What kind of roads are available /best? What would be best type of bike for the road surfaces involved? Is there a 'standard' North coast to south coast route? So many questions....
Hi All, sorry to piggy-back on this thread, but it has relevance to my forthcoming adventure... I intend to cycle from Bilbao to Frigiliana (near Nerja) and I have no experience at all of cycling in Spain. Has anyone done a North-South tour of Spain? What kind of roads are available /best? What would be best type of bike for the road surfaces involved? Is there a 'standard' North coast to south coast route? So many questions....
Olive, have you planned a route, North to South, yet?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
FWIW I've been cycling on all sorts of roads in Spain the last couple of weeks, and I've been mightily impressed by the attitude of nearly every driver.. In towns, and out in the country

Massive lorries giving a wide berth on N roads, and car drivers being everso patient even on long twisty hill climbs* on smaller roads, it's so nice compared with UK.

* I've even pulled over and stopped a couple of times as I couldn't bear holding people up any longer.

They really respect that solid 'do not cross' line down the middle of the road, even where it goes on for ages..

Trickedem

Guru
FWIW I've been cycling on all sorts of roads in Spain the last couple of weeks, and I've been mightily impressed by the attitude of nearly every driver.. In towns, and out in the country

Massive lorries giving a wide berth on N roads, and car drivers being everso patient even on long twisty hill climbs* on smaller roads, it's so nice compared with UK.

* I've even pulled over and stopped a couple of times as I couldn't bear holding people up any longer.

They really respect that solid 'do not cross' line down the middle of the road, even where it goes on for ages..
I've been in Spain with @rb58 and @ianrauk this last week and can echo the comments about Spanish drivers. In the main they are very patient and make sure to give you a wide berth when overtaking. Plus the roads are nearly all in fantastic condition.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I've been in Spain with @rb58 and @ianrauk this last week and can echo the comments about Spanish drivers. In the main they are very patient and make sure to give you a wide berth when overtaking. Plus the roads are nearly all in fantastic condition.

Yes but a noticeable change in quality of road surface crossing from Asturias to Galicia..

The quantities of sweet chestnut on the smaller roads makes for interesting riding at this time of year tho.

But they are very good roasted :rolleyes:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
A bit.. The cases are spiker, the chestnuts are pointer.

But the upside is, that they're a whole lot tastier... Been enjoying them -

And the local mushrooms the last few days..

Cauliflower fungus.. Yum :-)

Top Bottom