Cycling on pavements.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Anybody else noticed an increase of people cycling on pavements now that the (ever so slightly) warmer weather is here?

I was walking back from the local shop yesterday lunchtime, earphones in, looked down at my foot (probably a bad habit from being a teenage boy a few years ago), looked up and saw someone on a bike heading right for me. Moments later, along came his lady friend, again on the pavement.

Then on the way home last night I was waiting at some traffic lights and saw a woman come flying down the pavement then across the junction and on to the road at 90º to where she came from.

Oh, and thinking about it, I saw another one using a ped crossing this morning on the way to work!

With the recent spate of reports of accidents involving peds and cyclists on pavements, do I start shouting at these people to get off the pavement and onto the road or do I leave them be?

Cab

eldudino said:
Anybody else noticed an increase of people cycling on pavements now that the (ever so slightly) warmer weather is here?

Only on those roads now so totally ruined by potholes such that they have become slalom courses for cars and some cyclists are, quite reasonably I think, taking a safer route where such occurs.

Turns out that the number of pedestrians hurt on the pavements by cyclists pales into insignificance compared with the number of pedestrians hurt or killed by motorists on the pavement. I wouldn't seek to condone such riding, but it should be viewed in context. It isn't that big a deal.

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Cab said:
Only on those roads now so totally ruined by potholes such that they have become slalom courses for cars and some cyclists are, quite reasonably I think, taking a safer route where such occurs.

These are on roads where potholes aren't a problem. So that's not the case here, I assume the cyclists I've seen are riding on the pavement as they think it's the right thing to do or it'll save them time at a junction.

I think in the context you mention, with an experienced cyclist looking out for pedestrians - ok. But the cases I've seen are on roads that I cycle every day without any problems. I think that as it's illegal, it is a big deal.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cab said:

Turns out that the number of pedestrians hurt on the pavements by cyclists pales into insignificance compared with the number of pedestrians hurt or killed by motorists on the pavement. I wouldn't seek to condone such riding, but it should be viewed in context. It isn't that big a deal.

It is to the person hurt. Or frightened. My old gran was always very worried about pavement cyclists, just because she'd been scared a couple of times by close passes. Cyclists freak pedestrians out for the same reason they freak horses out - relatively silent and fast approach. The stats may show that more people are hurt by cars - that applies across the whole road/pavement network, but I suspect more people are frightened by bikes.

Pavements are safer than roads? Loose paving stones, kerbs, textured paving, bollards, pedestrians? I'd rather take my chance on the slalom on the road.

If it seems appropriate, a sarcastic "Aw, doesn't your mummy let you ride on the road?" is probably a good comment...

thomas

the tank engine
eldudino said:
With the recent spate of reports of accidents involving peds and cyclists on pavements, do I start shouting at these people to get off the pavement and onto the road or do I leave them be?

Leave them be. No point getting worked up.

I don't generally have a problem with pavement cyclists, depending on which pavement. There are some roads where I wouldn't expect someone without a lot of road experience to use the road.

It annoys me a bit more when it's a 20mph zone, or quiet residential zone. I'll tend just to be assertive in these places.

Arch said:
The stats may show that more people are hurt by cars - that applies across the whole road/pavement network, but I suspect more people are frightened by bikes.

I'd rather be frightened than hurt any day of the week. lol!

Arch

Married to Night Train
thomas said:
I'd rather be frightened than hurt any day of the week. lol!

But the point is, someone (especially someone vulnerable like an elderly or frail person) may be frightened dozens of times, and never hurt. That doesn't make the fright any less real for them.

It's easy to be blase about fear when you're fit and healthy and active. But many people are very afraid of a fall that might break a hip, or hurt their back - I know I've been very cagey the last few weeks, with a sore back.

Actually, if people could be trusted to cycle responsibly on the pavements (slowly, no weaving in and out of people), I'd have no problem with it. As ever, it's the thoughtless few who make the rules necessary, and if there's a rule, I like to see it obeyed.

Cab

Arch said:
It is to the person hurt.

True enough, but considering how very few of them there are relative to the numbers harmed on the pavement and on the road by other modes of transport, we devote far too much attention, here and right across the published media, to a relatively trivial issue.

Cab

Arch said:
But the point is, someone (especially someone vulnerable like an elderly or frail person) may be frightened dozens of times, and never hurt. That doesn't make the fright any less real for them.

There are busy roads and pavements next to them up and down the country were the elderly fear to tred due to the thundering past of fast motorised traffic. Why do we give that so little attention?

Arch

Married to Night Train
I know the way things are reported is all skewed - I'd like to see every road death covered nationally, see how long it took people to take notice.

But just because something is less of a problem than something else, doesn't mean it isn't a problem at all....

Cab

Arch said:
But just because something is less of a problem than something else, doesn't mean it isn't a problem at all....

And no one is condoning reckless pavement riding. Its just that we need to keep this in some kind of context; I see pavement riding every day, many times, and the number of instances I see of dangerous pavement riding approaches zero.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Have to say I don't see that much of it - perhaps because the pavements round here are busy enough with pedestrians that it's simple not a practical way of getting around. But I have to say I'm with Arch here - just 'cos being hurt's worse than being spooked doesn't make it right to spook people. It's discourteous at best.

As to whether you snarl at transgressors, must admit I tend to refrain from anything beyond giving them the evil eye. Don't need the grief...

Sam Kennedy

When I first started cycling, I knew I shouldn't be on the pavement, but I didn't have the confidence to go on the roads. Looking back, I'm so glad I actually stayed on the pavement until I gained more confidence going out with my club.

I always gave pedestrians plenty of space and slowed when approaching them.

Now I cycle on roads 99% of the time, the 1% is when I'm taking my younger brother to school.

classic33

Leg End Member
Since some are trying to compare us with motor vehicles, with regards injuries caused. How many on here wouldn't mind people oin cars taking to the pavements to get round something in the road. Be it another vehicle, pothole or a red light?

We seem to ask to be reconised as legal road users, yet we seem to think that when the situations on the roads are not to our liking we should be allowed to use the footpaths as well! Sounds a bit like the "I pay Road Tax" brigade only on two wheels & pedal power.

If you don't feel safe/comfortable on the roads, but wish to use the footpaths then get off & push.

Norm

+1 to C33 there, with the addendum of once you start breaking the law, where do you stop? There should be no opportunity for confusion and no grey areas. If "we" expect other people to stick with the rules of the road (or path), then "we" should respect those same rules.

IMO.

Barbelier

And no one is condoning reckless pavement riding. Its just that we need to keep this in some kind of context; I see pavement riding every day, many times, and the number of instances I see of dangerous pavement riding approaches zero.
Can't accept this kind of argument. It's illegal.....period.

I have two young children who walk to school every day and a mother over 80 who likes to walk. Why should they even have to worry about pavement cyclists?

Where do you draw the line with such an argument (I hardly ever see dangerous pavement riding so it's not a big deal)? Using that logic is it okay then for motor scooters to do the same so long as they don't actually hit anyone? Motor cycles then? Cars perhaps?

It's illegal for a reason.

Top Bottom