Cycling on the pavement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Don't ride on the pavement and when my kids cycle (10, 8 and the 4 year old on the tag along) to school they use the road. How are they to get any road sense cycling on the pavement ?

I'm impressed ... my 10 y o ... has lousy road sense (and I mean really lousy despite always walking/cycling to school), and my 7 y o I considered too small until recently as he was on 16" wheels (felt he wasn't high enough to appear on the car drivers vision). But there are sections away from the school and the pavement driving cars where I encourage them to cycle on the road. And if the pavement is busy I get the 7 y o to drop onto the road for a bit, but he has been taught not to steam through pedestrians but wait behind.

There are other times when we all cycle on the road but its a little hectic near the school (narrow, parent parked up road = single file traffic which doesn't want to give way to on coming cars). I have been known to cycle down that section at a nice pootle pace:evil: knowing that its irritating those parents trying to get as near their childs classroom as possible, in the vague hope they might consider parking just a tiny bit further away and walking that last 100 m.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I have been known to cycle down that section at a nice pootle pace:evil: knowing that its irritating those parents trying to get as near their childs classroom as possible, in the vague hope they might consider parking just a tiny bit further away and walking that last 100 m.

:angry::biggrin::biggrin:
but ...
.... in the vague hope they might consider parking just a tiny bit further away and walking that last 100 m.

'What ? WALK ? When I can block the traffic at a very busy time ?
dream on ....:rolleyes:

In Portsmouth we don't have an opportunity to cycle on pavements, there are too many cars on them.....

DSC00042.jpg

Top Bottom