Cycling on the pavement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

dudi said:
Recently I was caught by a cycling policeman, riding my bike on a stretch of pavement close to my work. He stopped me and advised me that he was obliged to give me a £30 fixed penalty unless I could give a very good reason as to why I was on the pavement.

We had a short conversation and the kind policeman gently persuaded me that the real reason I was on the pavement was a matter of personal safety as I thought the junction was too dangerous with out adequate provision of cycle lanes etc.

This seemed to be OK by him and I didn't get the fixed penalty.

It would seem that it is against the law, but exceptions can be made if you are deemed to be riding "sensibly" and if you are there as a matter of personal safety.

Thats how the law is meant to be enforced. Note this statement from Paul Boateng, a home office minister when this was introduced:

"The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required."

You can find various quotes like that directed to PCs and PCSOs. When you encounter policing that isn't in accordance with that advice, get in touch with your local chief constable; for my money, it sounds like your local bobby got it right.

All of that said, it would still be better if you could fathom a way of taking junctions like that on the road than on the pavement. Better form in all sorts of ways to do so, if you can.

Tynan

Veteran
that and coppers aren't keen on paperwork

there almost always an alternative route, I have no problem at all at choosing a route that avoids junctions I don't feel are safe

Cab

Tynan said:
that and coppers aren't keen on paperwork

there almost always an alternative route, I have no problem at all at choosing a route that avoids junctions I don't feel are safe

I do wish that was true, many of my journeys don't have routes that avoid junctions I'd rather not use.

Theres one junction where if I'm turning right, so taking the third exit at a roundabout, I'm struggling to get on and off without having some tit undertake me on the left when I'm signalling to get off the roundabout. I could go around the outside of the roundabout of course, but I don't want to die on the road.

cyclebum

Cab said:
Theres one junction where if I'm turning right, so taking the third exit at a roundabout, I'm struggling to get on and off without having some tit undertake me on the left when I'm signalling to get off the roundabout. I could go around the outside of the roundabout of course, but I don't want to die on the road.

This is a similar problem to mine. All other junctions I can find an alternative and 1 roundabout there is always a pelican crossing if I'm desperate (not resorted to this yet though:smile:)
but this 1 roundabout, my alternative takes me quite a long way round, and I only end up at another juction almost as bad anyway

dondare

Über Member
What actually kills cyclists?
Being inside a left-turning HGV.
Riding off the footpath onto the road and getting hit.

Cyclists get killed when they are trying to avoid getting killed, either by keeping so far over to the left that they aren't noticed, or by riding on the footpath instead of the road. The way to stay alive and make progress is to integrate with the vehicular traffic; get into the correct lane and go with the flow.

Interesting on this evening.

Rowner Lane in Gosport, following a vehicle that drives on to the pavement and then parks on it, the outer two wheels just off the pavement, so that most of the car is now causing an obstruction.

THe British School of Motoring instructor then sits in the illegally parked car and chats to the pupil for several minutes.

NOw with driver training at such a low level that the instructor has allowed this during a lesson is it any wonder we have problems with pavements being abused?

More worryingly, what other illegal or simply poor manoeuvres is this pupil being allowed to get away with?

dondare

Über Member
Cunobelin said:
Interesting on this evening.

Rowner Lane in Gosport, following a vehicle that drives on to the pavement and then parks on it, the outer two wheels just off the pavement, so that most of the car is now causing an obstruction.

THe British School of Motoring instructor then sits in the illegally parked car and chats to the pupil for several minutes.

NOw with driver training at such a low level that the instructor has allowed this during a lesson is it any wonder we have problems with pavements being abused?

More worryingly, what other illegal or simply poor manoeuvres is this pupil being allowed to get away with?

"Now, can you tell me what you just did wrong?"

"Er...."

"You mounted the footpath illegally. Whilst on the footpath you are not insured to drive this car. You are parked illegally. If you did this in a test you would fail the test. If you did this after passing your test you could lose your license."

A valuable lesson, indeed.

cyclebum

dondare said:
What actually kills cyclists?
Being inside a left-turning HGV.
Riding off the footpath onto the road and getting hit.

Cyclists get killed when they are trying to avoid getting killed, either by keeping so far over to the left that they aren't noticed, or by riding on the footpath instead of the road. The way to stay alive and make progress is to integrate with the vehicular traffic; get into the correct lane and go with the flow.

The way to stay alive may be technically correct as you state it, but when you have spent years as a car car driver and new to the horrors of how so many motorists (regardless of vehicle) treat cyclists Intergating with vehicular flow is not always easy if fitness does not necessarily allow and getting into the correct lane can be even more frightning.:smile: I know alot comes down to confidence but that can take time. Just as I think I'm making progress in that way some idiot does something to knock it back again. Is it therefore any wonder we sometimes need to retreat to the safety of the pavement when self preservation demands it?:blush:

dondare

Über Member
cyclebum said:
The way to stay alive may be technically correct as you state it, but when you have spent years as a car car driver and new to the horrors of how so many motorists (regardless of vehicle) treat cyclists Intergating with vehicular flow is not always easy if fitness does not necessarily allow and getting into the correct lane can be even more frightning.:smile: I know alot comes down to confidence but that can take time. Just as I think I'm making progress in that way some idiot does something to knock it back again. Is it therefore any wonder we sometimes need to retreat to the safety of the pavement when self preservation demands it?:blush:
The safety advandages of riding on the pavement are entirely negated and then some by the dangers of riding off the pavement when you need to rejoin the road, or cross the road in order to continue riding on the footpath.
If you ride any distance on the footpath you will have to cross a lot of roads. It's how pedestrians get killed, about 760 of them each year, (more than five times the number of cyclists), and cyclists who use the footpath risk the same fate.

cyclebum

I think you misunderstand me, you seem to think I mean cycling on the pavement and staying there. I mentioned in a previous post, and I think I am right in others that have said the same, the intention is only to use the pavement when there is a difficult junction ect.., but only riding with caution. I would only ever use the pavement continuously as a cycle path when it is designate to do so, but there are times when it is safer to use short stretches.

I am sure I do not live in the only area where some pavements have been split to use as shared paths with cyclists and pedestrians alike. Cyclists Ive seen using them tend to stick to the cycle side, yet pedestrians walk where they like putting themselves at risk. as long as a cyclist is sensible enough to use caution, what is the difference in safety when using a non designated cycle pavement?

Hope this has come out as I intended it!!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Blimey, there are some po-faced people on here!!!

Just occasionally most cyclists go onto the pavement for what seems to be a valid reason. When I feel I have to, I don't hammer along at 25mph, I scoot or carefully go round the obstruction before returning to the tarmac. I push the bike or wait if there are other people around. It doesn't make me a bad person - get over it;)

cyclebum

rich p said:
Blimey, there are some po-faced people on here!!!

Just occasionally most cyclists go onto the pavement for what seems to be a valid reason. When I feel I have to, I don't hammer along at 25mph, I scoot or carefully go round the obstruction before returning to the tarmac. I push the bike or wait if there are other people around. It doesn't make me a bad person - get over it;)

Thank you, that is what I was trying to say :blush:, you just put it alot better:smile::smile:

dondare

Über Member
cyclebum said:
I am sure I do not live in the only area where some pavements have been split to use as shared paths with cyclists and pedestrians alike. Cyclists Ive seen using them tend to stick to the cycle side, yet pedestrians walk where they like putting themselves at risk. as long as a cyclist is sensible enough to use caution, what is the difference in safety when using a non designated cycle pavement?

Pedestrians have right of way on shared-use paths, including on the cyclist's side of the white line. It is one of the many reasons why these paths are bollocks.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
dondare said:
Just be careful when you rejoin the road.

Phew, thanks for the advice. I was going to put on a blindfold and launch myself between 2 lorries.

ps. Oh and be sure you switch off all the sockets before you go to bed:evil::blush:

Top Bottom