Cycling on the pavement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I'd rather get off my bike and walk or jog past the section.
It isnt slowing you down too much if you jog.
If i do cycle on the pavment, then it would be at walking speed, and if its at walking speed i might aswell get offand jog.
15mph is too high to be on the pavement and be riding.
Walking pace would be between 3-4 mph i think.

classic33

Leg End Member
bonj said:
Yeah, it's technically illegal but largely ok. As long as you go fairly slowly (< 15mph - although on a dedicated cycle path you can probably open her up a bit), and are careful of peds, and give way to them - that's the main thing.
IIRC Paul Boateng a government minister has recently clamped down on police trying to stop and fine people who ride on the pavement perfectly safely, imho good on him.

Bonj

http://www.rjw.co.uk/ctc/q-a-from-cycle-magazine/q-a-from-cycle-magazine/#pavement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith's_Rule

Even on a shared footpath, 18mph or faster, you are expected to get onto the road. Oddly enough for the safety of those on foot.

BTW you can't get points on your licence for robbing a bank!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I'm obvioulsy a nuaghty boy then. I cycle on the pavement each morning I commute - it's a short cut which cuts out a rather nasty little roundabout (no-one seems capable of indicating because it's easier just to go round at speed and pick one of the 7 exits which are all quite close together) and saves about 1/4 mile of bad surfaced road too.

I turn off the main drag and up a cul-de-sac which ends with a pavement across the top. In total I cover about 25m of pavement and am then back into an ASL ready to make a right turn at a set of lights.

Whenever I go on this section I am at snail's pace, but I still ride rather than walk - seems pointless unclipping and pushing as there's rarely anyone there... and on the odd occasion there is someone there I let them know they have right of way and I'll happily wait.

Never been a problem for me or any ped there.

bonj2

classic33 said:
You have to quote the pertinent points of the article you're linking to.
It's a long wall of prose, I haven't the inclination to read it all and guess why you're linking to it.

classic33 said:
Why is being able to calculate the journey time for a hike relevant?

classic33 said:
Even on a shared footpath, 18mph or faster, you are expected to get onto the road. Oddly enough for the safety of those on foot.
Surely it depends on whether there are any on foot?

bonj2

I just don't think it's unsafe to ride on the pavement as long as you do it carefully, ensuring the safety of and giving way to peds, that's all - so I don't see why I shouldn't do it - fwiw I don't see simply the mere fact that it's against the law as a good enough reason not to do it. For me it's got to have a tangible negative effect on somebody or something.
If you want to refrain from doing it simply because it's against the law then that's fine, I've nothing against that. Also if you want to recommend to others not to do it simply because it's against the law I've no problem with that either - feel free to speak your mind. But so will I, thanks. The forum doesn't have to come to a unanimous position to present to beginners, they'll make of different people's viewpoints what they will and come to their own decision - as long as no-one presents deliberately false facts.

bonj2

Blue said:
The points would be for the traffic offence, not the robbery.

Sharpen up there Bonj.

what's this about a robbery? i'm not sure why you've brought a bank robbery into it.

This is always a mixed bag, and difficult to answer.

It is not helped by the DfT who advise 18 mph as a top speed on a shared use path - in my opinion far too fast.

One of the problems is the speed difference rather than the speed itself. A cyclist passing a pedestrian at the advised 18 mph is equivalent to a cyclist being passed at 60 - 80 mph.

This means that for many there is a perception of danger rather than a real one, especially for the elderly and infirm who cannot react quickly or to parents with children who are feeling protective oftheir charges.

However to the individual this perception is totally real and needs to be addressed from this viewpoint.

The original stated aim of Sustrans and the National Cycle Network is that:

By providing a network of safe high-quality routes that link towns and villages, the NCN aims to increase travel choices for both utility and leisure journeys. Any route signed and promoted as "final" NCN has to be suitable for a family with small children or an unaccompanied 12 year-old child.

Would that be the guiding line- both in an age guide and an aim for the road environment itself.

Until this standard is reached for all roads there will perhaps be an argument for pavement cycling in strict circumstances?

However this must be done through the proper process, and legislative steps

classic33

Leg End Member
bonj said:
You have to quote the pertinent points of the article you're linking to.
It's a long wall of prose, I haven't the inclination to read it all and guess why you're linking to it.

I had assumed you would have read the first part at least. It appears as follows:

Dangerous Bike Dilemma

Skinny Cycle Lanes

Pavement Cycling 2

Cycling in Bus Lane

Pavement Cycling

Overtaking Car Queues

From there, even an idiot could have followed on.
Why is being able to calculate the journey time for a hike relevant?

Gives you the chance to work out the average walking speed of a fit/healthy person. Although with corrections it can come closer to 4 mph.

Surely it depends on whether there are any on foot?

No it doesn't. Above 18mph you are deemed to be a danger, whilst cycling on a footpath (that runs alongside any road).

bonj2

classic33 said:
No it doesn't. Above 18mph you are deemed to be a danger, whilst cycling on a footpath (that runs alongside any road).

Whether I'm a danger or not is a function of whether there's who I pose a risk of accident to, not of whether I'm doing over 18mph. Fact.

Oh, and "deemed" by who?

bonj said:
Whether I'm a danger or not is a function of whether there's who I pose a risk of accident to, not of whether I'm doing over 18mph. Fact.

Oh, and "deemed" by who?

DfT Guidance!!

Ride at a sensible speed for the situation and ensure you can stop in time. As a general rule, if you want to cycle quickly, say in excess of 18 mph/30 kph, then you should be riding on the road.

Local Transport Notes on Walking and Ccling - Annex D, Code of Conduct Notice for Cyclists. July 2004

gbb

Legendary Member
Cycle paths in some cases actually 'grey' the laws regarding cycling on paths.
In Peterborough, there is a massive network of , some good, some bad shared cyclepaths. Some go right through housing estates, and its not always clear exactly where the paths start and end.

So, what do you end up with...cyclists cycling everywhere. The truth is, ive never heard anyone complain, EXCEPT in the city centre, where there is a strictly enforced ban.
FWIW, i agree with Bonj, if a path is used considerately, why not.
But it depends on the path and where ?
A busy path is a no no for me...actually, if there are any more than say two peds...i wouldnt use it....or at least with extreme caution and respect for the peds. Weaving in and out is just not on.

Which brings me to Bonj's cam post 'how to negotiate an underpass'
Although you there, i was not, you may have been more 'spacially aware' than the video shows...the opening shot shows you riding up to a blind junction. You dont know who or whats round the corner. You ride through the first underpass, past several peds and a toddler, into the second underpass, past a couple who moved to one side for you....and onwards.

I'd like to think i wouldnt ride your way....but i know if i were honest, there have been times in the past.

But, it never hurts to question oneself...am i really right ? Only that way do you ever really learn or become a better person.

Top Bottom