Cycling on the road is such a competitive thing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

Chasing others down or being chased...I'm sure it isn't my imagination, but you ride along for long enough in rush hour traffic, and you can guarantee that you end up subconsciously chasing someone, or someone else is drafting(sp) you

Am I alone in thinking this ? ....surely not ;)

Sandra6

Veteran
I see it happening.
Obviously I do not ever consider myself to be in a race with another cyclists and in no way give myself a little cheer when I realise I've beaten them.:whistle:

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

I love chasing down the road bike commuters ..... on my hybrid (rack & pannier'd)
They leap frog a couple of times, or jump lights ..... but I get them in the end!!!!

Your fitness levels are fairly high though, so not surprised.
I shared a section of my commute home through the Racecourse last night with a girl on a single speed racer. She said she had to build up to ride it, but was a bit of a shock when she moved back from her uni in London to Cheltenham as there are a lot more gradients to deal with here. Still big respect for her to be ridingone. I stuck my bike in top gear out of sympathy when we got to the hilly bit :biggrin:

Blurb

Über Member
I'm guilty of serial SCR'ing. I'm not the fastest, and most people aren't racing, but it is fun, and breaks up my commute. Unfortunately, it means I end up cream crackered by the end of the week because I'm constantly leaving the house telling myself "this is a recovery ride, take it easy", but the moment I see a rider in the distance it's like a red rag! I'm old enough to know better, but I just can't help myself.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm guilty of serial SCR'ing. I'm not the fastest, and most people aren't racing, but it is fun, and breaks up my commute. Unfortunately, it means I end up cream crackered by the end of the week because I'm constantly leaving the house telling myself "this is a recovery ride, take it easy", but the moment I see a rider in the distance it's like a red rag! I'm old enough to know better, but I just can't help myself.

I feel your pain...:thumbsup:

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I don't like the silly macho one upmanship you sometimes get in a group of.male riders...that could be because I'm.usually one of the slowest....but who cares ...life is to short to miss the ride because of being so focused on a set of ride stats on strava or something.

Kies

Known as SCR or "silly commuter racing", however, it happens at all times.

What do you call two cyclists going in the same direction?.. RACE...

There's even a scoring system for adding or subtracting depending the type and level of bike/rider you scalp or get scalped by - http://www.itsnotarace.org/fcn-calculator/

My FCN is 12 - hybrid,panniers,normal clothes and flat pedals - i apparently get max points if I overtake a skinny woman on a carbon road bike wearing a niqab !!!! (Joking folks)

Last edited:
Known as SCR or "silly commuter racing", however, it happens at all times.

What do you call two cyclists going in the same direction?.. RACE...

There's even a scoring system for adding or subtracting depending the type and level of bike/rider you scalp or get scalped by - http://www.itsnotarace.org/fcn-calculator/
You get bugger all points for overtaking me. I'm old (ish), slightly large (ish), only started cycling again 5 months ago, and usually only just managing to not have a heart attack when going up hill. Definitely 'nil points'.

D

Deleted member 1258

Same here, I'm on my fixed wearing work clothes and steel toe capped boots, I'm riding steady trying to not get sweaty, but someone comes past and then the pace starts to rise........

Last edited by a moderator:

redcard

Veteran
[QUOTE 2663198, member: 30090"]SCR is reserved for those people who are in ths aame group (and reason) for buying a large car.[/quote]

Do explain..

BSRU

A Human Being
It is so rare for me to have any SCR, only 5 or 6 times this year after cycling over 10,000km:sad:
SCR is fun when done properly, that is safely and legally:thumbsup:
It's always enjoyable burning off someone on a better bike who had previously overtaken me thinking I was slow(always ride slowly on shared paths).

Top Bottom